Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I signed up for a track day at California Speedway in Fontana through www.fastrackriders.com :D (BTW, they have discounts for May!) Since I only have about 2k miles experience, I signed up for Level 1.

Anyway, I had a couple of questions:
1. Besides the info on trackjunkie.com, is there anything else I should know?
2. Any tips?
3. I have an 03 636 - do you think I need a steering damper? (so far not even a headshake on the streets)

Thanks in advance! :D

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
I did my first trackday with about 5000km experience, it was a blast.

Since I've only done the one, I don't want to give much advise other then keep your eyes open. In level 1 they probobly don't allow passing in the corners, but I had to straight line it onto the grass twice because someone tried to pass me underbraking and overcooked it. I kept it up, but it was a bumpy ride :)

My 02 did not need any sort of damper, but the 02 6r's are very stable. They don't turn as quickly as the 03's but that can be a good thing for newer riders like myself.

One more thing, watch out for crashing Yami R6/R1's.. only 3 people crashed at my trackday, all blue Yami's :)

-=Welcome To Canada=-

2002 Green 6R
1986 Gixxer 7/11

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice, CdnNinjaZX6R. Wow, I'm surprised that people crashed even at the level you signed up for (presumably level 1 since it was your first time). Anyway, I don't want this to be my last track day, so I'm gonna be reaaally careful. :)

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
One piece of advice.
Don't do what I did;)

My first track day, with about 4000km experience on a bike, was a blast.
It was a private track day that I got invited to and there weren't that many bikes on the track so there weren't any groups either. Only street legal bikes with insurance so no racers or any of that.
I did it like I do much of my riding, no excuses full on maybe gonna crash but so what[:eek:)].
2h straight with only a 3 minute break, after 40 min or so I was passing 90% of the riders (no racers, remember, only normal people, men AND women(3 of them, in fact)) and felt it was awesome. Hanging off the bike through a fast turn my head seemed to be really close to the ground going 150km/h, it was absolutely fantastic, I loved it.

Many people had told me: when you start to feel like you've got the hang of it and probably could push it some more, get off the track and have a long rest or quit for the day.

And that's my advice.

I didn't listen to them of course, so after about 2h I felt that this was going pretty good, and had the brilliant idea to try and keep the revs above 10k all the time[:p] Then I had another brilliant idea, let's try a broader line out of turn 10 just before the main straight to see if I could get some more speed...
Man did I feel stupid afterwards. Buut, like a friend said when I told him it was on the track I crashed my bike:"well, it was for a good cause at least";)

I loved it so much I booked over 40 more track days this summer, this weekend I have 11 * 20minutes * 2 days scheduled. I can hardly wait[:p][:p][:p]

Remember, I'm just a n00b who can't keep his trap shut cause I'm so excited about riding that when I'm not doing it I have to talk(write) about doing it. So go ahead, get yourself addicted:D

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice, RedFinn! Sounds a lot like intermediate syndrome. I'll certainly keep that in mind. :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hey, I'm gonna start doing some time down at Fontana too, this summer. I'll get back to you when I do, and maybe you can get the discount from signing up new riders;)

Step 1-Twist handle
Step 2-Hold on!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.