Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been watching these forums for a good month and a half now. Some great information available and looking to be a more active member once I get my own two fiddy.

Based on those of you that got 08 250's, when did those become fairly 'easy' to obtain at the dealerships? Or were they ever easy to get to begin with?

I'm basically looking to save up for my gear, MSF class then get the 250. Used is certainly an option although I've barely seen any in the color I'm looking for here in Texas (black). So my next best bet is to save up for a new 09.

Problem is the word's been relatively mum so I'm trying to get a feel for these bikes based on others experiences with the 08's. I know the 09's are trickling in super slow to some places.

Would it be possible to get one of these bikes after the holidays by walking into a dealership? Or is that not likely? More importantly, given the demand, is it likely that only those that get on waiting lists will score the 09's altogether and then have to wait for months before the 10's come out?

Thanks and I appreciate your help!:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
actually the 08's were difficult for me to get my hands on. for the past 8 months i've been waiting for a dealer to call me.

luckily i knew someone in the Santa Monica kawi and they got a 09 for me on labor day weekend.

these 250's are a hot buy especially in S. cali...

·
Registered
110 Posts
^^hell yes

My school alone has like 4 of em that I've seen today alone. Real nice looking bikes, they get good attention.

BTW OT, but where in DB are you??

·
Registered
21 Posts
^^hell yes

My school alone has like 4 of em that I've seen today alone. Real nice looking bikes, they get good attention.

BTW OT, but where in DB are you??

i live across DB high school on Pathfinder. u around this area too?

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Considering we know next to nothing about release dates for the non-pre-release 2009s right now, that's a difficult question to answer. Assuming they start shipping before the end of this year and assuming the dealers have put in a ton of orders, you might very likely be able to get one early next spring without a problem. Even though there was a massive "buzz" about the 2008 Ninja, I had no problem getting one for MSRP in March. The complaints about availability of the 2008s are mostly because people waited too long to get one and dealers didn't think it would be this popular and didn't order enough. By now they have learned their lesson and there should be many more 2009s available than 2008s. As long as you get yourself to a dealership well before the riding season starts (like February or March) next year, I think your chances would be pretty good of getting one, probably in your first color choice even. Once April arrives and people think seriously about buying bikes, your options will become limited virtually by the day, so don't hesitate.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Shouldn't the '09s arrive at dealers end of October-beginning of November?

·
Registered
53 Posts
hey, weren't some of you saying there is supposed to be the official dealer meeting or whatever it was around this time of year? I thought we were supposed to know the official info on the 19th?

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
hey, weren't some of you saying there is supposed to be the official dealer meeting or whatever it was around this time of year? I thought we were supposed to know the official info on the 19th?
That's when the meeting was held. Geez, man...give them time to asssimilate all those orders and fly back to Japan to input them! :eek:

·
Registered
74 Posts
yeah, that dealership is crazy for profit... I asked for one and they wanted $6000 otd price and they still sold it to someone... How much did you end up paying OTD price... did you get raped for $$$$ by that dealer...
I swear that dealership is all about profit and could careless about you after sale is over..

I overheard an irate BWM owner who was unhappy with his bike purchase there and complained about how he spent $13000 for BMW bike which is turning into a lemon bike, full of problems and breakdowns. Dealer was still giving him the run around and not trying to help this guy to find a solution...
Yeah they have stock but they want $$$$ most ripoff dealer I have ever seen, even Berts Megamall is not that much of a ripoff compared to this dealer.

So did your friend give you good deal price,,,.

what was your OTD price you paid. I talked to one guy there who just bought his 08 suzuki hyabusa for $14000 otd price... WOW,,, now thats a ripoff sales.

actually the 08's were difficult for me to get my hands on. for the past 8 months i've been waiting for a dealer to call me.

luckily i knew someone in the Santa Monica kawi and they got a 09 for me on labor day weekend.

these 250's are a hot buy especially in S. cali...

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Don't go ragging on all dealers because some idiot couldn't do his homework. There are plenty of good dealers out there who aren't out to rip you off, but are about getting you back when you move up to a bigger bike. Jerks who pay $2000+ OTD for a 2008 Ninja 250R and allow themselves to be victims of the "supply and demand" scam this late in the season deserve what they get!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Man, where are you living in some unreal world... look around dealers are there to make profit at all cost.. Sofar in socal, prices on 08 ninja 250 were through the roof, 90% off the dealers are adding junk fees to make it around $5000.00 and up, skies the limit to these sharks.
Yeah, I have been around and around with these dealers but no go... Yes, dealers like Advanced kawasaki is one of the rare guys who does stright talk and gives good deal, his dealership is small and no much of stock in bikes. I have talked to him and almost had deal but they just didn't have the color of bike I wanted...not 250 but 650r model. When 09 comes out, I am heading to his store for the right price deal... He told me he makes money on good customer service, repeat customer business and service and parts center is where he can provide good service and make decent living...

So yes, in my book 90% of dealers are ripping of people charging their junk added fees here in socal...and about 10% are honest but they are hard to find... I guess its America, profit at all cost...like sharks in for the kill..

Don't go ragging on all dealers because some idiot couldn't do his homework. There are plenty of good dealers out there who aren't out to rip you off, but are about getting you back when you move up to a bigger bike. Jerks who pay $2000+ OTD for a 2008 Ninja 250R and allow themselves to be victims of the "supply and demand" scam this late in the season deserve what they get!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Based on those of you that got 08 250's, when did those become fairly 'easy' to obtain at the dealerships? Or were they ever easy to get to begin with?

I'm basically looking to save up for my gear, MSF class then get the 250. Used is certainly an option although I've barely seen any in the color I'm looking for here in Texas (black). So my next best bet is to save up for a new 09.
I would recommend getting on a waiting list. There is a small dealer in Marble Falls that quoted me the best price locally, but they were unable to get me a new bike. I ended up buying a used (black) one out of Illinois. I was not impressed with Woods in Austin or Central Texas Powersports in Georgetown, the other two dealers I spoke with.

Most likely Kawasaki will build enough 09s to meet the demand, but it remains to be seen if they build slightly MORE than the demand, so dealers have them sitting on the showroom floor.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Man, where are you living in some unreal world... look around dealers are there to make profit at all cost.. Sofar in socal, prices on 08 ninja 250 were through the roof, 90% off the dealers are adding junk fees to make it around $5000.00 and up, skies the limit to these sharks.
Yeah, I have been around and around with these dealers but no go... Yes, dealers like Advanced kawasaki is one of the rare guys who does stright talk and gives good deal, his dealership is small and no much of stock in bikes. I have talked to him and almost had deal but they just didn't have the color of bike I wanted...not 250 but 650r model. When 09 comes out, I am heading to his store for the right price deal... He told me he makes money on good customer service, repeat customer business and service and parts center is where he can provide good service and make decent living...

So yes, in my book 90% of dealers are ripping of people charging their junk added fees here in socal...and about 10% are honest but they are hard to find... I guess its America, profit at all cost...like sharks in for the kill..
90% seems a bit high to me. It's just like buying a car or any other high-ticket item. You have to do your research first and that eliminates much of the possibility of being ripped off. Too many people are blindly walking into any Kawasaki dealership and paying whatever the dealers want because they just have to have this bike now. Many dealers are picking up on this desperation and are using it as an opportunity to make a little extra income. But 90% of them? I really doubt that figure.
If you take the time to do the research, it's possible to find many honest and reputable dealers no matter what area of the country you live in. Many dealers want your repeat business and especially with a small-displacement bike like the 250R, they know it's very likely you will eventually outgrow it. Any dealer just trying to make a quick sale with no concern for customer satisfaction or repeat business should be avoided like the plague. Unfortunately that includes most large dealerships that deal in high volumes of sales. You are much more likely to get a good deal at a smaller local dealership where they know you will be stopping in from time to time for parts and service.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I agree, I'd rather go 100 miles out of town to buy from a smaller dealer, than go with the larger local ones that move volume.

On the other hand, in the case of the 2008 250R where the demand was far more than Kawi anticipated, dealers have every right to charge whatever they want. And the buyer has every right to decline or to purchase.

The flip side of this is when manufacturers miss the market on the other side by building too many, and dealers have to drop the price to move their inventory...so it works both ways.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts