Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No reserve on the '03 (warning light only). I get around 110-130 miles per tank on my '03. Your definition and requirements for "comfort" and mine may be two totally different ideas. I find the '03 every bit as long-trip-rideable as my '98 which had the same ergos as an '02. I am not sore after a three hour tour at all, and I recall times where I really stiffened up on my '98. There's a more forward bias to the riding position on the '03, but it's stretched out as much as the '02. The pegs are higher on the '03, and more rearset. It's a different riding position, for sure, but I am starting to tire of people who sit on the '03 in a showroom and say that it's not good for long distance rides. Once you get used to the more aggressive stance, the '03 is surprisingly easy to take on long trips. I wouldn't go back, but then, everybody is different.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Fuel economy: don't know for sure, but I guess the 02 has better fuel economy because it has a smaller engine. It doesn't seem to be a big difference in any case. One advantage of the 03 for long-range trips is that it has no fuel petcock, so you don't have to switch manually to reserve.

Comfort: The 02 is more comfortable than the 03, and is more comfortable than most 600cc bikes. But the 03 is comfortable as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ok So Anyways. I know they are all digitalized and such with no fuel gauge, but the 02' gets about 120 miles on the 4.8 gals then u have to hit reserve?(correct me if im wrong). And the '03 goes about how far before u gotta hit the reserve? And between the 2 which is more comfortable? I wanna get everyones opinion on this one, it will decide on which one i get :) .

·
Registered
173 Posts
I usually get between 125-130 miles before my gas light comes on. I'm not sure exactly how much gas is left after that, I've heard you can get another 30 miles or so, but I haven't chanced it. As for comfort, the riding position took a little getting used to, but after a day or so, it felt ok. I have already survived a couple of fairly long rides on my 03, and I found it was pretty comfortable.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Strange, I can get around 130-160 miles before I have to hit reserve on my 02 zx-6r...

and as far as confort goes, I put a corbin seat and some risers on my 02 zx-6r, probably the most comfy 600 supersport ever created ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
hmmm, now im confused...i've been doing research on the fuel mileage...and the EPA for city/hwy for the 6r is 36/48. So that means on highway u can go around 230 miles on a full tank(4.8 gal), and u guys are saying your only going around 125-130??? heres the site, the EPA is at the bottom of the page. http://www.mtv411.com/motorcycle/pictures/kawasaki/ninja-zx-6r.htm

So correct me(and them) if im wrong :) . You guys might have gone farther then you think haha.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I suppose if I cruise at 4,000rpm all day long on a highway, I could get closer to those numbers. I suppose if I want to cruise all day at 4,000rpm I would buy a scooter. But that's not my idea of a supersport... and I don't concern myself much with mileage, except to know that all supersports get roughly the same mileage. I'm okay with that. On a track day, my mileage goes down even more.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Originally posted by donnieb032

hmmm, now im confused...i've been doing research on the fuel mileage...and the EPA for city/hwy for the 6r is 36/48. So that means on highway u can go around 230 miles on a full tank(4.8 gal), and u guys are saying your only going around 125-130???
People are talking about how far they get before hitting reserve or having the fuel light come on. On an '02, you hit reserve at 3.8 and still have another gallon to go. I almost always stop and fill up before getting more than 10-15 miles into reserve.

I'm down to about 35 MPG (from 40) after installing race exhaust and a Factory jet kit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I might be crazy, but last week I went from Wilm, NC to Myrtle Bch and back, and rode for about 200 mile total and refueled when I got back and only had to put in right at 3.4 gallons. There were times me and my friends, coming back, did get well above 100mph. Im not sure... Sandy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.