Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, okie I did purchase a GSF500 but i have a week before i sign the paperwork for it officially.

I have got input that the GSF500 2007 - I paid 6900 with all taxes, is not worth it.

A few of my friends recommended the new ninja250 for 5 800 with taxes. Or another buddy of my recommended getting a used EX500 for 2000$. I can buy a body kit for it, so i can dress it up.

Please help me out.

Im a new rider, 6.5 and 210 lbs. I want to take a passenger eventually one day, so I would not mind the extra torque.

Keep in mind:

250 - Insurance full coverage is 2200
GSF500 - 3500
EX500 - 1300

Please help

·
Registered
588 Posts
is that in canadian dollars?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes canadian

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im not looking into doing any mods to the bike a side from changing lights into halogens.

I will be keeping this bike for 2 years so, im looking into doing the investment into the 500gsf. I also have 1 year warrenty and then some.

·
Registered
588 Posts
for looks the ninja 250 i think looks the best....but when i take a passenger i do notice a big change in performance im 5.9 n i weigh 165

i read a review a while back about the two 500's n i think the kawasaki was the better of the two....ima try to look for that somewhere n post it...

the suzuki does look better than the kawi 500 IMO ....but havent seen any pics of an EX500 with a body kit.....post up sum pix of the kit u were lookin at :D

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i think im gonna go with the 250, because of financial issues.

Im going to call back tomorrow and get the money transferred over.

·
Registered
588 Posts
i dont regret gettin mine.....im sure u'll enjoy yours too....

ohh...and the red ones are the fastest:D ......dont let ne1 in this forum tell u different:p

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well, i dont know - i like the GSF500,

·
Registered
184 Posts
I personally like the GS500. I ride my girlfriend's all the time, and it's a blast. Not as quick as the 636, but it's a lot of fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow.

I picked the GS500 over a 250 for three reasons. One, is size. It's obviously bigger than any 250, and it suits her well since she's on the taller side. Two, to deal without the hassle of having to upgrade over time. A 250 is fun for about the first month or two. After that, it gets dull, boring, and you get the itch up move up in size. Three, is commuting. We both do a decent amount of freeway miles, and you'll have a hard pressed time getting that 250 to put-put along at 80 mph or so. Well, that's what we cruise at, at least.

It will take a while, but you will get used to it. There's not a lot in terms of aftermarket, but IMO the bike is fine the way it is.

I will point out some things. The bike is dated, very dated. They use the same engine and circuit layout from when the bike first came out, which was early '90's or so, possibly earlier. It's not as modern as most other bikes, but if you're looking for something tried and true, this bike is it. Take care of it, and it'll run for a long time

Check out gstwin.com if you need more advice or insight. All of their owners absolutely love theirs, fully faired or not.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have had both the ex500 and the gs500.

Aside from the undersprung (for my weight) suspension, the ex500 is a better bike in just about every single category, no contest.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Here is the EX500 vs GS500 comparison MCN did a few years ago.

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval/NinjaGScomparo07a.pdf
http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval/NinjaGScomparo07b.pdf

Bottom line is that the Ninja 500 wins in just about every area except for looks.
500 is a good bike but it's getting pretty long in the tooth. You should look at the Ninja 650R or SV650 instead if you want something with more power than the 250R for going two up. There are a lot of used SV650's out there so you should be able to find a good one at a decent price. The Ninja 650 was brand new in 2006 so the selection is going to be more limited, but it's the more beginner friendly of the two 650's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts