Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was trying to put on my HMF slip on quickly after work today, didn't get past the the exhaust cover. The allen screw on the side won't budge, and I stopped before I completely stripped the thing (the other came out with not too much effort).

So basically, where do I go from here? Apply heat? And if the things totally stripped what are my options? Just go out to home depot and get a big-ass allen key?

The bike was dropped on that side on grass by the previous owner and there are some VERY minor scratches on the edge of the exhaust, but I think its just a stubborn ass screw.:rolleyes:

Thanks

Note: the HMF comes with a new cover and new screws, so I just need this damn thing off one way or the other.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You may try a impact driver. Its a tool you can pick up most auto parts store have it. You can install a allen and hit it with hammer to dislodge it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had to spray some good 'Ole WD-40 on Mine and let it soak in, Also, Make sure your using the right Alan key, it takes a Metric size, not a standard one!

·
I ♥ Cute Cats!
22,797 Posts
If you've really hosed it, apply heat to loosen it up (as was suggested) and no mechanics toolbox is complete without "screw extractors" or "Easy outs":

It's a lifesaver if you're dealing with FUBAR'd fasteners. Just drill a hole in the center of the fastener that's stuck (large enough so you can get one of the easy-outs to fit in), tap the easy-out in with a hammer so it "bites", and unscrew.

·
Registered
26 Posts
apply heat... then use hammer or impact drill. if you strip it - use the extractor. Home Depot has a small set for impact drivers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright, thanks. That guys f***n days are numbered:violent:

Typical that a 1/4 inch cosmetic screw would hold up such simple job :cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts