Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to know if a bike with a dead battery would still be able to jumpstart/pushstart. And by dead i mean completely dead its been sitting for almost a year. It's a 79 kz650 by the way. It came equipped with a kickstart.

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
If it's carbureted, it should push start if everything else is working. If it's been sitting for a long time without being started, you may have other problems (gummed fuel system, bad electrics, etc)...

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
Dead as in it's totally drained, or dead as in it is drained and won't hold a charge?
If it's just drained, you can jump it.
IF it won't hold any sort of charge, jumping it won't help.

If you have even a moderate hill, you can also push start it, but again,the battery needs to be able to hold a charge.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
carbs have been completely cleaned out, new spark plugs, new oil, battery was new a little over a year ago but its been sitting since like 2 months after i got my zx6r which was last june. also gas has been drained and new gas put in.

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
if it has been sitting for that long and the battery is even older, might as well try a trickle charger and then jump start.
Most likely the battery is shot, speaking from previous bike experience.

Also the carbs are more than likely gummed up as well.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
everything else should be good like i said carbs were takin apart new spark pugs gas etc. The battery is the only thing not taken care of. The bike ran fine before. I havent tried push starting it yet i just want to know if all things being equal will it work with a completely dead battery.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The point is that there are different types of dead batteries.

A battery that has no charge can still be good if you recharge it, or jump/pop start it.

However, a dead battery can also be really dead, in that it will no longer properly conduct electricity, and the bike may not even run with it installed.

Given that yours is only a year old, it's probably the first type.

·
Powerhungry
38,423 Posts
a TOTALLY dead battery on that old of a bike, it will probably not start from being pushed. the ignition relies alot on the battery voltage. they have very weak charging systems. i would try and get a little charge in it first. then it should be ok to push. and as said as long as the battery is OK, just dead. shouldnt be a problem to jumpstart it. just let it set connected for a couple minutes before u try to start it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what would be the difference in push starting a carbureted bike as opposed to fuel injected?

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
Originally posted by loesch8102
Just out of curiosity, what would be the difference in push starting a carbureted bike as opposed to fuel injected?
EFI engines need power to run the fuel pump, to get the fuel to the injectors under pressure and to operate the injectors themselves. Carbs do that with engine vacuum.

No battery power = no injection. Carbs don't care either way; you can almost always push-start a dead carbureted machine (it may take a few tries though).

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
Not to mention the ecu in the bike needs a power source to operate, from what i've seen with cars around 9v is about the cutoff where the ecu just wont do its job, its not going to function without power, therefore no injection pulse, no ignition, no nothing.. With carbs its no big deal and the ignition system on those bikes can induce their own power and run. Think on terms of a dirtbike, no battery there.. ;)

·
Powerhungry
38,423 Posts
i have recently encountered 3 different ppl that have push started efi bikes. to my surprise. no lights no dash no nothing. but a short push and drop the clutch in 2nd. fires right up. so apparently the alternators are very good, and effective at low rpms. and about the car... just b/c theres not enough juice to turn the starter over, doesnt mean that the ecu, pump and injectors cant run.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.