Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys will droping a tooth on the front sprocket mess with the correct mileage reading, i no it does on the speedo, dont no if this subject has been brought up just curious to no

·
Registered
95 Posts
I am pretty sure it does effect both the mileage and the speedometer. I know that when i went 3 up on my rear sprocket, my speedometer stayed the same, even though i was actually going slower (says 150, only doing 130 or something like that) also 140 miles on the odometer is no longer 140 miles traveled, more like 120 give or take. I would imagine the effect will be the same with tooth changes on the front.

·
Registered
24 Posts
yes, everything changes. It might not change a whole lot with just one tooth but there will be a difference. The mileage gets its inputs from the speedo and the speedo is calibrated for the stock gearing and tire size. One tooth up will make you go a little faster than the speedo says and put more miles on it that the odometer says. You might be able to recalibrate the speedo for the +1 tooth but I am not sure on that one. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i went -1 +2 will going up on the back sprocket have the same affect, i was just wondering bc when i bought the bike it was reading 10k on the odometer and it now has alittle over 19k and i only owned this bike alittle over a yr but its been well taken care of

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
The more that you increase the final drive ratio, the more that the speedo and odometer will be off.

With a -1/+2 sprocket change, you are now pretty far off from the stock gearing. Your odometer will read more miles than you have actually gone.

Edit: This is a good reason to buy a speedohealer. If you change you sprocket combo by 10% from stock, you will show 10 extra miles for every 100 miles that you ride.

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The more that you increase the final drive ratio, the more that the speedo and odometer will be off.

With a -1/+2 sprocket change, you are now pretty far off from the stock gearing. Your odometer will read more miles than you have actually gone.

Edit: This is a good reason to buy a speedohealer. If you change you sprocket combo by 10% from stock, you will show 10 extra miles for every 100 miles that you ride.
wow i didnt no that, i new that i couldnt put that many miles on the bike in a yr but i did raise my final drive ratio up by 33% over stock making it now 3:00 gear ratio now, stock is 2.67

1 - 6 of 6 Posts