Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Cool, once I get back from skiing in a fortnight I reckon it's time to get the ZX back out (been riding my little ER5 over Winter so it would be nice to get back on the ZX)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Here are the steps I followed:

1. Purchase 3/8" (9.53 mm) vacuum caps from an auto parts store (there were three in this package):

2. Remove the black side panels from the fuel tank.

3. Remove the seat.

4. Remove the two front bolts that hold the tank and steering damper. Rotate the damper out of the way toward the front of the bike.

5. Raise the front of the tank and hold it up with bungee cords or tie straps.

6. Remove the air box.

7. Remove the hose from the pair valve (see the area circled in red), and set it to the side (we won't be reinstalling this hose):

8. Install one of the vacuum caps on the valve where the hose was removed:

The cap is a little small, so it's kinda hard to install. I used some needle nosed pliers to pull it onto the valve connection.

9. Install another vacuum cap on the bottom of the air box where the same hose used to be connected:

The connection on the air box is a little smaller, so the cap goes on easier. Here is a closeup of the installed vacuum cap:

10. Reinstall the air box (minus that one hose I removed).

11. Reinstall the fuel tank, steering damper, seat and black side panels.

With this mod you don't have to worry about installing a jumper on the pair valve wiring since we are leaving it plugged in even though it won't be doing anything.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Strider
So i am in the process of trying this mod but under my air box looks different and now i do not know which hoses to remove. here is a pic of my 09 monster zx6r. I figure i will cap under the air box, cap the same valve that is capped in the original post. but that leaves an extra hose(long one to the left) What do i do with that? just cap off the t-fitting as well? Any help would be great.

I have a full akra evolution with PCV and i need to get it custom tuned this summer...i am currently running an akrapovic "race exhaust" map which is a smaller muffler than the evo. I am getting some backfiring so i figure this mod is in order. Great write up by the way and thanks for bringing this mod to my attention!

Attachments

Reactions: jonnyfranx

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
So i am in the process of trying this mod but under my air box looks different and now i do not know which hoses to remove. here is a pic of my 09 monster zx6r. I figure i will cap under the air box, cap the same valve that is capped in the original post. but that leaves an extra hose(long one to the left) What do i do with that? just cap off the t-fitting as well? Any help would be great.

I have a full akra evolution with PCV and i need to get it custom tuned this summer...i am currently running an akrapovic "race exhaust" map which is a smaller muffler than the evo. I am getting some backfiring so i figure this mod is in order. Great write up by the way and thanks for bringing this mod to my attention!
Did you buy this bike used? It looks like somebody already did another type of mod on it (routing the crank case vent to the pair valve instead of to the air box). So does that long hose on the left go down to the crank case vent on top of the engine? If so, then what you need to do is remove that extra T fitting and the hose that goes from it to the air box. Then cap the hole on the air box as shown in the instructions above. Also, remove the short hose that goes from the T fitting to the pair valve. Then connect that long hose on the left to the pair valve (where you just removed the short hose from).

Here is an illustration for clarification:

If that's not the case, then this is probably a CA model bike which would require a little more work for the Kleen Air mod as there are more parts to the smog control on CA bikes.

Here are a couple links with more information for this mod on CA bikes:
http://www.kawiforums.com/how-tos-faqs/69495-remove-ca-smog-crap-pair-kleen-mod-05-06-zx6r.html

http://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-6r-forum/13106-07-08-zx6r-smog-removal-whos-done.html

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
Looks to me like that's the CA model. Due to Cali emissions it has an extra hose. While I was googling this mod I found that Cali mods have this extra hose. There are some tutorials on how to go about plugging everything off..

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Looks to me like that's the CA model. Due to Cali emissions it has an extra hose. While I was googling this mod I found that Cali mods have this extra hose. There are some tutorials on how to go about plugging everything off..
If that's the case, then there is a little more work to do for the Kleen Air mod on a Cali bike.

Here are a couple links with more information for this mod on CA bikes:
http://www.kawiforums.com/how-tos-faqs/69495-remove-ca-smog-crap-pair-kleen-mod-05-06-zx6r.html

http://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-6r-forum/13106-07-08-zx6r-smog-removal-whos-done.html

Thanks for pointing this out nsherwood! I also updated my previous response with this information.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Thanks for the informative replies guys! I did buy it brand new in July 2010 and i am the only one to work on it (11k). I am pretty sure it is a CA model now. I OPENED my owners manual and on the back page is the CA model vacuum hose routing diagram. Duh. haha. The hose i was talking about is marked "green(purge) and runs to the canister(it's a battery looking thing strapped to the inside of my upper fairing along the left side of the bike. i took a couple pics.
I guess i should do a search and see how the Cali models are modded. Unless Strider007's diagram applies to me? Thanks again fellas.

Attachments

Reactions: Strider007

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks for the informative replies guys! I did buy it brand new in July 2010 and i am the only one to work on it (11k). I am pretty sure it is a CA model now. I OPENED my owners manual and on the back page is the CA model vacuum hose routing diagram. Duh. haha. The hose i was talking about is marked "green(purge) and runs to the canister(it's a battery looking thing strapped to the inside of my upper fairing along the left side of the bike. i took a couple pics.
I guess i should do a search and see how the Cali models are modded. Unless Strider007's diagram applies to me? Thanks again fellas.
Nope, that diagram doesn't apply then. I edited my last response with some links for the CA model.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Wow i can't wait to remove all that smog crap! There must be an extra 5-10lbs in there. I also know that if it's good for the atmosphere it can't be good on performance. Thanks for the links, i think i know what i need to do now. I am surprised there aren't more threads on removing this stuff on an 09. i will take some pics and let everyone know how it goes. But if anyone has removed the smog stuff/kleen air mod on an 09 any tips or advice is always welcome. :)

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
So with this version of the mod you can still get oil in the airbox from doing wheelies, correct? Since the crank vent still runs to the airbox.
If it's just a short wheelie here and there, no. But if you are stunting, then yes, you would want to route the crank vent somewhere else to avoid oil in the air box. If your bike still has a catalytic converter, however, then you shouldn't route crank vent to the pair valve (it will clog the cat).

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
gonna give this a shot while i have my fairings off for a coolant flush/change. i have a dealer installed two brothers exhaust and i get popping on deceleration. it doesnt bother me that much but what the heck.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
gonna give this a shot while i have my fairings off for a coolant flush/change. i have a dealer installed two brothers exhaust and i get popping on deceleration. it doesnt bother me that much but what the heck.
That's exactly the reason I did it! I have an Akrapovic slip on and a link pipe, and I was getting a lot of popping. It didn't really bother me much, but after this mod, I really LOVE the clean, loud and deep sound of the exhaust system!

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
i dont have the CA version and ive never removed my air box before. i've opened the air box to clean it on the inside as well as the air filter. i actually went into the air box thinking that was the proper way to get it off lol.

I was wondering why it was not coming off...that step where it says to remove the air box was vague to me so i had to search and looked at the ivans block off guide on how to remove the air box.those two clamps at the bottom that can only be accessed by popping those plastics tabs on both sides of the frame were a pita to reach.

anyway just speaking from first time experience this mod was not that difficult just use a set of needle nose pliers to get the cap on there. also warming the cap up with a lighter to stretch it also helped. the second cap was a breeze.
i still have to flush my coolant so i wont notice anything till this weekend.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Just a tip to get the air box off, i wouldn't even attempt it without a t-handle Allen wrench(3mm). and don't back the bolt all the way out, back it out as much as you can without disassembling the hardware, then the airbox will slide off and on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am wondering if this kleen air mod is still what you consider to be most efficient and cost effective? I know it's almost 3 years old, have you experienced any difficulties or problems and does the FI light come on at all? I have a 2013 6R and am wondering since I am getting a little popping and a flame every once and a while. Thanks for the write up man, it is appreciated

·
Registered
342 Posts
What does this do?

Reactions: 2y4life

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 07zx10 just gutted cat. Seen somewhere they just capped off hose to air box but I have hose from air box at bottom and a small hose at bottom what do I do. Bike sounds like a shotgun while trying to start. No problem before

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I am wondering if this kleen air mod is still what you consider to be most efficient and cost effective? I know it's almost 3 years old, have you experienced any difficulties or problems and does the FI light come on at all? I have a 2013 6R and am wondering since I am getting a little popping and a flame every once and a while. Thanks for the write up man, it is appreciated
I know this question was a long time ago, but I want to answer just in case it helps somebody else.

Yes, this is probably the most inexpensive way to do it. There weren't any difficulties nor problems, and the FI light doesn't come on after you do this mod.

The other option is to completely remove the PAIR valve assembly and install block off plates. This is more expensive, but also a much cleaner look. (I went ahead and did this later on to get rid of the extra parts on top of the engine.)

21 - 40 of 41 Posts