Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to keep my exhaust as quiet as possible, and didn't plan on replacing the stock one. But now after about 3 weeks of riding, I'm starting to change my mind so I have a few questions:

1. Are there any aftermarket exhausts that will give a somewhat deeper tone, yet still be as quiet as the stock setup?

2. How much, if any, noticeable power gain would I get from an aftermarket exhaust?

3. Would I need to replace the entire setup, including headers, or just get one of those slip-ons?

I've listened to some of the videos on youtube, and it seems like the two brothers is way too loud. The arrow seems to be about the same as stock as far as loudness, but has a deeper tone. Kind of hard to tell through a video though. Does anyone have any of these that can verify this?

·
Registered
166 Posts
You also need to see if the restrictor is installed on the vids you are watching (mostly not). Itll look like a smaller pipe coming out of the muffler tip.

·
Registered
22 Posts
1) A pipe with a db-killer (aka baffle, silencer insert etc) can change the tone without getting too loud. For example, many IXIL pipes come with two baffles to choose from; the smaller one is very quiet and wouldn't be much louder than stock.

2) With a heavily-baffled pipe, you'll get a couple of hp if you're lucky. The most you could hope for is slightly better throttle response. It'd save a bit of weight and probably look better than stock.

3) Stick with a slip-on. Any baffle that lowers the volume to stock levels is restrictive enough to make a full system pointless.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Pretty sure the Arrow with the baffle in is quieter than stock although I will warn you, if you take out the baffle you wont put it back in :D Yes it is a little louder than stock but it sounds so damn good!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yea i just installed an arrow and with DB in it pretty comparable to the stock but take that out and its beautiful ha. deeper and louder, like wrx said you won't put it back in

·
Registered
603 Posts
I want to keep my exhaust as quiet as possible, and didn't plan on replacing the stock one. But now after about 3 weeks of riding, I'm starting to change my mind so I have a few questions:

1. Are there any aftermarket exhausts that will give a somewhat deeper tone, yet still be as quiet as the stock setup?
FOllow the $250 comparison linked earlier. The Yosh is a little louder than stock, to my ear. However, it is much deeper.
2. How much, if any, noticeable power gain would I get from an aftermarket exhaust?
Not much.
3. Would I need to replace the entire setup, including headers, or just get one of those slip-ons?
Just a slip on.
I've listened to some of the videos on youtube, and it seems like the two brothers is way too loud. The arrow seems to be about the same as stock as far as loudness, but has a deeper tone. Kind of hard to tell through a video though. Does anyone have any of these that can verify this?
Yosh is deep, not too loud.

·
Registered
47 Posts

You got your answers already it seems, I'll just mention that the assumption
that the aftermarket exhaust HAS to be loud is usually wrong, so regarding
noise, you'll probably be fine with 90% of the available products out there.

For an exhaust to be street legal, it HAS TO BE as loud as the stocker, and
interestingly, some are even quieter! In a comparo I once read (an italian
magazine) the leovince exhaust was something like 0,5 to 1dB quieter then
the stock. If I remember correctly, only one out of 6 was marginally louder.

If the manufacturers site says it's street legal, you'll be fine.
Check the Akrapovic site, they have the street legal from race only stuff
clearly separated and marked.

Of course, they're quiet only with the dB killer insert in.

As for your specific questions:

1) From what I've heard, and I obviously have the same taste re: sound,
only Akrapovic and Arrow fit the bill. I haven't heard the Yoshi. The Leovince
is exactly the opposite for example. I like the V-twin rumble, and that kind
of sounds is hard to get on a parallel twin, especially in high revs.

Forget about the youtube clips, you can't evaluate how loud something
is, even if you could reproduce the same volume levels, but a difference
in tone can be heard IF you hear all of them recorded with the same
microphone.

2) Forget about power gains. You'll be lucky if you don't loose any power
and/or screw up the toque curve.

Akapovic qoutes (IIRC) around 2hp average depending on the revs, and
that there's more power and torque at ANY revs. That's almost impossible
to do IMHO, and I seriously doubt even Akrapovic can pull that off.

With lesser manufacturers it's almost guaranteed that without a custom
fueling map you'll loose something somewhere.

You'll gain more with the weight drop then with the power gain (6-10lbs).

3) You can get just the slip-on. A full system with a power commander
and a different air filter would boost the power and torque (and fuel consumption)
considerably.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
From the link that ShamRock posted, I really like the sound of the Yoshi better than the Arrow. It seems like Arrow is more popular though, not sure why. I'll have to look into the Akrapovic. I wasn't expecting to gain much power, but I certainly don't want to lose power either.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Likely not the quietest but quiet enough with the db killer inserted and IMHO by far the best looking (because it doesn't stick out) exhaust is the LV. Although it is far from the cheapest...

As far as appreciable power difference? I'd venture that anyone claiming more than 3HP is trying to sell you something.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts