Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats the difference in the two?

friend of mine just bought a 2006 R6S. We were looking at the 07 R6 next to it and absolutely hated the front end of it with the grill opening looking like a bug so she went ahead and got the 06 R6S

just wondering what the differences are between the 2 or if you guys could give me a little info on it.

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
639 Posts
Go to yamaha's website and look up the 04 R6 and compare it to the 06/07 R6(not the S version)

Pretty much the R6S is the 04 R6 and the 06 R6 is what it is
 

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
Joined
·
8,495 Posts
Originally posted by stylin97
whats the difference in the two?

friend of mine just bought a 2006 R6S. We were looking at the 07 R6 next to it and absolutely hated the front end of it with the grill opening looking like a bug so she went ahead and got the 06 R6S

just wondering what the differences are between the 2 or if you guys could give me a little info on it.

Thanks
Think of the difference between the R6 and R6s like the difference between the newer 636's and the newer ZZR600...basically the R6s is the 04/05 R6, for those who think the new R6 is a waste of time, money, and space in the world (like me). The R6s is down on HP, up on torque, up on weight, and is a little less rigid and flickable than the R6. And it looks a hell of a lot better. That's it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does the 2006 R6S have mroe hp than our 636's??? i found a few sites online saying it has 123hp.. thats more than a 636 isnt it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
Pretty sure we got the R6S beat. That seems really high for that R6s, a 636 is stock around 108-110. I'm thinking R6s is 105. Not sure though, its been compared millions of times i'm sure. I always remember the 636 being the power king in the supersports.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,436 Posts
The R6s is yamahas way of keeping the spread so they can gain more market share of bike sales. The R6s is offered as a entry level 600cc bike now. It has the conventional forks now and regular style bakes instead of the inverted forks/ radial brakes like the R6 has.

The motor output is at the motor, not at the wheel. The 636 is in the upper 125+ hp range, so to see the R6s at 123 is not a shocker.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
They're talking about crank hp, not hp to the wheels which is what figures you have in mind for the 636. The 636's put more hp to the wheel than any other 600 (barely beats the 675 I think). If your friend is looking at getting an R6 (pre '06), go with an '05. As sneakyws6 said, they dumbed down the R6s a little in 06 so the 05 R6 is superior.
 

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
Joined
·
8,495 Posts
Originally posted by stylin97
Does the 2006 R6S have mroe hp than our 636's??? i found a few sites online saying it has 123hp.. thats more than a 636 isnt it?
Nooooo...the R6s is a piece of shit. It's very very comparible to the ZZR600 (no offense to ZZR owners). It's not even in the same class anymore as the 636.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
683 Posts
Don't forget the R6s now has conventional forks instead of the upside down ones like all the others. On the street, doubt you'll notice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
997 Posts
Originally posted by dragknt



Nooooo...the R6s is a piece of shit. It's very very comparible to the ZZR600 (no offense to ZZR owners). It's not even in the same class anymore as the 636.
Its strange u say that as in the Ausralian supersport and a lot of local racing every winner is on a R6 but yet u guys in the states have the ZX6R winnig supersport races go figure... why is this do u guys get more factory support from Kwaka than us and we get more from Yamaha, just like in WSS compard to AMA SS why aren't the same manufactures on top...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by Styles
Don't forget the R6s now has conventional forks instead of the upside down ones like all the others. On the street, doubt you'll notice.
well i read the biggest difference in the R6s compared to the R6 is like you said the forks and the brakes.

how much of a difference does inverted forks actually make?

and they dont have "radial" brakes is the only other difference i read.... what is the difference there?

i went and rode my frends R6s yesterday and today, altho its a girls bike and she has it lowered 3" in the rear and maybe like 2" in the front or so (shes really really short.. still isnt flat footed) and it seemed quick as much as i kinda got on it (still in the break in) and the brakes didnt seem as good as my 636 but there wasnt really a lot of nose dive which gives you a sense of feel that the brakes are better as well.

Overall i think its a perfectly fine bike for HER, we had her riding for a few hours yesterday learning and it and such and she did awesome. didnt even come close to dropping it once.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
683 Posts
Originally posted by stylin97



well i read the biggest difference in the R6s compared to the R6 is like you said the forks and the brakes.

how much of a difference does inverted forks actually make?

and they dont have "radial" brakes is the only other difference i read.... what is the difference there?

i went and rode my frends R6s yesterday and today, altho its a girls bike and she has it lowered 3" in the rear and maybe like 2" in the front or so (shes really really short.. still isnt flat footed) and it seemed quick as much as i kinda got on it (still in the break in) and the brakes didnt seem as good as my 636 but there wasnt really a lot of nose dive which gives you a sense of feel that the brakes are better as well.

Overall i think its a perfectly fine bike for HER, we had her riding for a few hours yesterday learning and it and such and she did awesome. didnt even come close to dropping it once.
The upside down forks gives better feedback and adjustability for the track and the radial brakes offer better feel and less fading for the track.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top