Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend at Road Atlanta was so full of topics, I'm having to break it up into mulitiple threads. I already talked about my crash earlier today, http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread.php?t=117131 , here is my review of the 2008 yamaha r6, the new turn 12 at road atlanta, and the bridgestone bt002 rs tires.

First off, the new R6. Yamaha was giving demo rides in the morning. They offered a few laps aboard either the R1, R6, FZ1, or FZ6. I chose to ride the R6. To be honests, I've admired the r6 for awhile now but have never ridden the new one.

The demo was under the supervison of some control riders, so I figured it would be a boring ride around the track. But I was pleasantly suprised. My groups CR let us open these suckers up. I have to say that the R6 felt pretty damn good. It has zero power down low, I struggled to get it moving without stalling. But once moving, it was actually a pretty fast bike, you just gotta keep it revved.

I felt instantly comfortable on the bike, and was draging knee on the first lap, even with cold tires. It felt light, agile, and steered precisely. The brakes felt decent, not quite as good as my zx6r, but still very capable. The seating position felt... well, it didn't really make an impression at all, which I guess is a good thing. Like I said, I just felt comfortable on the bike from the start.

The funny thing is that when the CR's brought us in to finish the session, I accidentally missed the pit in which had changed from the last time I was there due to the new turn 12 configuration, so I got a whole extra lap all by myself on the track, without restriction. Needless to say, I made the most of it :devil16:

So if you're looking for a good 600 track bike, and don't want a zx6r for some reason, I'd say take a good look at the r6.

Ok, on to the new turn 12 at Road Atlanta... IT SUCKS!!! I guess it's safer, which was the goal, but it doesn't flow, has a bad bump right at the apex, and is just NOT FUN! The old turn 12 may have been dangerous, but man was it fun, what a rush!

We also ran the original turns 2-4 this time, without the AMA chicane that I used my previous time there. I didn't like the chicane at first, but I got used to it and actually enjoyed it eventually. But the original configuration is way FUN! It's a tight right followed by a fast sweeping left heading down into the esses. I really liked it, but I guess i can see how it is dangerous and why they put in the chicane.

And finally, the tires. I decided to switch from my pirelli corsa III's (which i love) to the Bridgestone bt002 RS tires. A buddy recommended them and I can get them for like $240 a set out the door, which was significanlty less than what I've been paying for the corsas, so I figured it was worth a shot.

At first, I had my doubts. The first few sessions got red flagged so I never got comfortable on them, probably because we got brought in right when they were getting up to temperature. I felt them slide a bit in the morning when I tried to push too hard too early. But by mid day, they felt fine. I will have to wait an see how they last since I only got part of a day out of them, but so far I'm satisfied with their grip and feel. For the money, they seem to be an excellent buy. I just got a flat on my zx6, so I'm probably going to try a set on them as well. I'll let you guys know how they work out.

Anyway, I hope my reviews were helpfull. Let me know if you have any more specific questions about any of the above and I'll try to elaborate.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks very much for the review. Everytime I see an r6 I drool its like an enigma shrouded in mystery. But seriously there have been many naysayers due to the high rev low torque at low rpm engine characteristics. If I were interested in this bike, but would never ride it on a track; street and cruizing only what would your thoughts be? Is it mal suited for street/cruizing use compared to other machines?

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
Love the R6. I will try to add that bike to the garage sooner or later.

--David

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks very much for the review. Everytime I see an r6 I drool its like an enigma shrouded in mystery. But seriously there have been many naysayers due to the high rev low torque at low rpm engine characteristics. If I were interested in this bike, but would never ride it on a track; street and cruizing only what would your thoughts be? Is it mal suited for street/cruizing use compared to other machines?
I'm starting to think that all the supersports are mal suited for street/cruising use, the r6 especially.

I would love to have an r6 for the track, but I don't think you be able to take advantage of it's strengths on the street.

·
ratherberiding
18,439 Posts
Nice review.

Of all the other brands apart from Kawi, I feel most comfortable on a Yamaha, specifically the R1.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
i've always liked yamaha's. if i wasnt on a kawi, that'd be my 2nd choice. But i just dont understand why everyone loves the style of the new r6's. it looks like some sorta mantis to me. Its not horrible, but it definitley isn't great either imo.

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts