Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a lady friend with an 06 ZX6rr that has had a 636 motor swapped into it at some point. This bike is race/track use only. When filling it to the reccomended levels in the manual (and stamped on the engine), it blows oil into the airbox pretty fast. Checking in with a well respected local race shop, they advised never go over 3 quarts actually and it's a common problem with this model.

Last change she put in 3 quarts, and after a couple of sessions, sure enough, tell tail smoke coming out of the exhaust. Shuts it down and naturally there is fresh oil in the airbox again. I hesitate to advise her to underfill a race bike, but is it advisable to keep dropping the oil level like this? Draining the oil and it's totally fresh, no coolant or anything mixing.

Sorry for the dumb question, I'm not a Kawi guy and my GSXR and Honda race bikes never have this problem.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Does she have block off plates in it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You would think I would have looked down there after cleaning out the airbox. I just shot her a text to check. The bike is an ex-Jordan Szoke Szoke factory bike from Kawi, I would have hoped that would have been done when all the mod's were put on it. I just shot her a text to look and shoot me a pic of the top of the engine to see what is still in there.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Mine burns oil at the track as well, and I have the block off plates on there already. Not quite to the extent of yours, but I was curious as to why this year Kawi has that problem. Damn blowby issues..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup, it has block off plates installed

Oil was collecting in the airbox, it appeared to me to be coming up top where the crankcase breather is letting it in is plugged into the half inch tube that was probably previously going to the air valve.

I know stunters cap this, or run it to the exhaust. Can I just put a catch can of sorts or something? I can't see that air out of the crankcase is beneficial to the motor in any way, and it's obviously where the oil is coming in from. Just seems odd to run oil low purposely on a track bike.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any help would be greatly appreciated. This has been extremely frustrating and I have lost track time, missed out on whole days and being able to race due to this issue.

Thanks guys!

·
Powerhungry
37,708 Posts
Mine burns oil at the track as well, and I have the block off plates on there already. Not quite to the extent of yours, but I was curious as to why this year Kawi has that problem. Damn blowby issues..
this is a legit concern, and may be the problem.

what state of health is this engine in?
done a leakdown or compression check recently?

and, as far as it being an issue with this engine, not that ive heard, or noticed.

while i understand i dont ride at the track, so im not carrying as high of rpms for as long, in the 30K+ miles, i havent noticed any oil use. for any reason.

i do have my breather connected to the airbox still aswell. and no block off plates, i just capped them.

·
Registered
870 Posts
One of the things I've noticed in my many years of racing is that the things "recommended in the manual" aren't always the right things as far as racing. The service fill in my bike is 3.5 qts, but it generally only takes about 3. I just check the level as I pour it in...

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
Why would the block off plates affect oil into the airbox?

Really, it just sounds like the crank case breather seal has started to fail... that or you're getting blowby past the rings. I'd do a compression test, then a leakdown if you're getting low numbers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Compression and leakdown came back good. It's definitely coming up the tube, not blowby past the rings.

I think I'm just going to run the breather tube into a catch can with a breather on it as well. That way the crankcase can still vent but the oil will get trapped elsewhere than the airbox.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wait, Crankcase breather seal? Ok, I'm sure I'm an idiot for asking, but is there a valve inside the meeting point from the tube to the crankcase or something that would fail? That sounds like something I would have to split the cases to get to.

Treat me like a six year old if you don't mind and explain that one if you could.

I really appreciate the help here.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
There should be a seal under the plate the crank case breather connects too. That's likely failed.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
Just out of interest what were the compression and leakdown numbers?

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts
I have the same engine/bike and go to the track with a few guys and the same bike. Never heard of this as common...

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
The more I think about this, the more likely I think it's compression gas leaking past the rings and over pressurizing the crankcase, which would then blow a mix of heated air and oil mist out the crank case breather into the airbox. A SMALL amount of oil is normal, like a couple of drips, if you're getting more than that something isn't quite right.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just out of interest what were the compression and leakdown numbers?
I don't have them handy, the shop did it and gave it the OK, then did a dyno run just to make sure it was still making the same power it was when it was initially mapped.

The more I think about this, the more likely I think it's compression gas leaking past the rings and over pressurizing the crankcase, which would then blow a mix of heated air and oil mist out the crank case breather into the airbox. A SMALL amount of oil is normal, like a couple of drips, if you're getting more than that something isn't quite right.
Uh oh, this is definitely more than a couple drops. Going to hook up the catch can and she is going to have to monitor it on her next track day and go from there it sounds like.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts