Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

race bike

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Strong Bad 
#1 ·
Considering that myself... and (plug your ears everybody) I'm looking at getting a couple-or-few-year-old R6 that's already been race-prepped a bit. You can sometimes get full-time racers' bikes for cheap and they usually have some good aftermarket goodies on 'em... check the back section of Roadracing World and you'll see what I mean. The reason I'm saying R6 by the way is that it's the closest to our 2003's in terms of body position and turn-in manners. I just want to keep my '03 636 primarily used for street riding.

#2 ·
hey I'm kinda lookin for a track only bike, I don't care what it is as long as it's cheap. I've looked at aprillia rs125 and other small things like that. I really want to get into racing but I don't want to spent 5g's on a bike. I really dont' want to turn my 03 into a track bike, A) b/c I don't want to have to safety wire and all that crap(b/c then I will never get any time on the street w/ it) and 2) I don't want to lay it down. If you could help that would be great:D

#4 ·
The same if not more than race bikes in the back of roadracing world.

For example, there is an 2002 Honda RS250R for $12,500 in the classifieds of Roadracing world.

Of Course, there is also a 97 Gixxer 600 with Race Tech Springs, Yosh exhaust, jet kit, K&N, Steering Damper, EBC rotors, Vortex sprockets, Two spare sets of rims, plus more for $2500.

You do the math. The Gixxer is probably not perfect, but you sure can have fun on it. The Honda is expensive and will require much maintenance.

#5 ·
depends on what year, newer ones cost around $7000. the cheapest 2 stroke bike that isn't 8 years old is probley a aprilia 250 and they sell for around 3-4 grand. you also have to remember that it's a 2 stroke so the engine needs lots of love.

the best thing i would suggest is check out getting a sv650. the bike is dependable, easy on tires, a blast to ride, and makes decent power.

#6 ·
DJ,

I did exactly what you are talking about, picked up the track R6 at the end of the 2000 race season. I had my 99 out on the track several times and knew it was just a matter of time before I went down and ruined it.

The track bike is completely done, it was the bike that won the CCS AM class in 2000 with Keith Reed riding it, he switched to Suzukis the following year.

See here: http://www.empty-pockets-racing.com/

Great guy and for his age damn fast, looking at his results for 2003 it seems like he is on top again.

Traxxion frontend
Penske Rear
Braided Lines
Full M4 Ti system
Factory Case covers
Sharkskins
Woodcraft Rearsets
Vortex Clip ons
MyChron Lap timer
520 conversion

I picked it up and Keith gave me the original bodywork, spare rims with all hardware, tire warmers, front and rear stands, extra race bodywork, all gearing, the parts list goes on....... I paid $6,500.

Since purchasing it I have sold enough of the extra stuff to get back $1750, bike is still running strong and I have not regretted the purchase one bit.

If you can find one go for it, the R6 is a great track tool.

#7 ·
You'll probably want to stay away from two-stroke bikes as they're extremely high maintanence and finicky at best. Granted, you'll have to completely re-arrange your mind when it comes to corner speed when you go 250 or 125 - this is a good thing!

You'd be wise to pick up an RG-500 or maybe an older SV-650. Why? Simple, they're easy on the throttle, cheap to run, crash well and there's plenty of classes to run them in. DO IT UP!!! FWWAAAAAARRRR

#9 ·
"Sport bike enthusiasts of average riding ability can enjoy and ride the NSR 500V."

That's the biggest line of bullshit I've ever read when it comes to GP Bikes!!!!!

You may be able to ride it, you might even be able to enjoy it, but only a truly gifted person would be able to ride and enjoy without throwing it down the road!

Anyone else care to go from 60hp-140 in the span of 3,000 or so RPM?

...and WWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.