Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here race an ex500? I'm looking into getting into racing, and have found quite a few race-prepped 500's. The problem I'm running into is that CCS doesn't offer vintage, or clubman classes, where they seem to be most competative. How good are these bikes going to be against the SV's in lightweight, which is where I'm going to be racing.

Ian

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
A well prepped EX500 will get it's ass stomped by a stock SV650. I started racing 650 twins in the late 80s, when the EX500, when well prepped, dominated the class. The first NT650 came out and took over the class. At that point, it took five grand in motor work and chassis work to field an EX500 that could compete, and that was oversize. Then the SV650 showed up in 99 and immediately conquered and still owns the 650 class. You will have fun on an EX500, but the chassis is 20 years old, it flexes like the vintage bike it is, the stock forks and brakes suck, and the motor is underpowered, oh, and the swingarm flexes and the rubber is hard to get race rubber for. You can put on a hurricane front end for better suspension.

Racing one is basically fun and you just have to get used to the feeling of the frame winding up and pulsating back and forth in a wave like motion that only improves on the throttle.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess the good news is that there's a couple of guys running srx600's and one or two 125 gps that I'll be able to play around with.

Ian

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.