Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know anybody that applied it to a bike? one car guy on one of my car forums painted his car with submarine paint, it has a matte black color to it. I think it would help a lot with bikes to avoid getting detected by radars.

also the guy who painted his car with the submarine stuff was a high-level military person. how he got it is beyond me but the way he talked about it seemed like it is pretty available.

·
Registered
443 Posts
mythbusters tried it with a remote control car. i think they tried different paints and whatnot and deemed it busted. the only one that actually messed with the radar was too heavy to actually use in a daily application. some of the paints actually made the radar read their car from a further distance.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
yeah.. that's a myth.

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
Originally posted by reintr0ducing
mythbusters tried it with a remote control car. i think they tried different paints and whatnot and deemed it busted. the only one that actually messed with the radar was too heavy to actually use in a daily application. some of the paints actually made the radar read their car from a further distance.
I saw that one, good episode. I don't think that was a remote control car though, that was a different episode.
This was a normal car they had, tried paint, mirrors, spinning things, tin foil, etc..
Nothing made much of a difference at all

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
As a RADAR instructor, I can tell you that there isn't much out there that can help....one tip...ride beside a bigger vehicle, the RADAR signal will reflect off the larger vehicle first....the only downfall....if the RADAR is a little more advanced it is sometimes able to return two reflections....

Sean

·
Registered
2002 ZX6R
26,947 Posts
actually it was both. They used a remote control car to try to find something on a small scale that might mess with the radar. Then they moved on to the big car with things that the remote car couldn't replicate. Like a CD hanging from the mirror, a cannon on the back of the car, and a couple other things. Great show.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Originally posted by seanmcc
As a RADAR instructor, I can tell you that there isn't much out there that can help....one tip...ride beside a bigger vehicle, the RADAR signal will reflect off the larger vehicle first....the only downfall....if the RADAR is a little more advanced it is sometimes able to return two reflections....

Sean
Technically, however.. if you're traveling next to a larger object, and an officer shoots radar at either of you.. you're more than likely both going the same speed if you're riding parallel to eachother. In the eyes of the "law," that would be sufficient, right?

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
Best defense against radar is a QUALITY detector. The brand new Passport 8500 X50 I just got was tested last weekend while towing the toy hauler up to Tampa - US27 was FILTHY with radar around Sebring/Lake Placid. The thing went nuts & we couldn't see anything on either side of the road, as far as we could see (g/f has amazing vision)... two miles later, just as we crested a mild hill, there he was. From where it alarmed to where the cop was sitting was TWO MILES. And the fact that it picked him up over a hill made it more impressive. I LOVE my radar detector.

Too bad I don't use it on the bike.. lol.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Yeah I have the beltronics RX65, pretty much the same thing as the 8500 x50, and it will get stuff from 2 miles out. kinda sucks bc you dont know whats goin on for those 2 miles then all of the sudden you see them.

Isn't it harder to clock a bike bc its smaller?

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Ok....lots of questions to answer...the 1st one with the two vehicles side by side.... the radar wil identify 2 seperate targets...its just harder. In Ontario the officer MUST first estimate the speed of the vehicle and then use RADAR to confirm. You must be retrained every two years. With our training I usually estimate to within 2-3km/h consistently. You must be able to stand in court and say without a doubt that the vehcile targeted is the one ticketed. Detectors help, but are illegal here. A good RADAR operator will use "instant on", only opening/activating the antennae when he chooses a vehicle thus diminishing the effectiveness of the detector, great if you are behind the targeted vehicle.....not so great if you are the target. With LASER, you have no chance at all. Your detector might indicate a LASER "hit", but it's already too late, the speed has been registered. LASER is pinpoint and does not "stray" past the targeted vehicle. Lstly...we have "detector-detectors".....they are awesome and no detector is immune, so don't believe the hype....we have seized all types from Valentine One's to the Radio-shack specials!!! Of course not all departments have this tecnology as it is quite expensive and it depends on priorities....in Ontario, traffic safety is of extreme importance and thusly, money is spent on technology. Lastly, all things being equal, bikes are slighlty harder to target with RADAR...if you are the only guy within view however...you are toast. LASER removes that issue altogether... the only real sure fire defence...don't speed!! But that sux!! Play safe and have fun...hope this info helps

Sean

P.S. To all the "all cops are assholes crowd"....I hope you read this and understand, we are not all bad....and in the end, we have a job to do, just like anyone else.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Originally posted by jerzefigga
anyone know anybody that applied it to a bike? one car guy on one of my car forums painted his car with submarine paint, it has a matte black color to it. I think it would help a lot with bikes to avoid getting detected by radars.

also the guy who painted his car with the submarine stuff was a high-level military person. how he got it is beyond me but the way he talked about it seemed like it is pretty available.
I watched a mythbusters where they tried everything from paint to tin foil to stop the radar fun. Nothing worked. There isn't anything you can do. I mean if all you had to do was paint it then every military vehicle in the world would be painted or covered in the stuff.

·
Registered
272 Posts
you could use RAM....Radar absorbing Material, but that is probably hard to get. they used to put that shit on the nighthawk. now on the more advanced planes, like the f22 raptor i think they use a combo of that and a spray.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My cuzin is an engineer for Lockheed Martin and she told me it wouldn't work on a normal car or bike. But it looks cool. Myth buster were right.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Kewl Thread! www.ga.com is all i have to say. The technology has been out there for a while for "radar obsorbing" paint. All I can speak to is that this stuff works for the military and if you've ever seen this stuff work, it's pretty spectacular. You have to have a Secret Clearance to be a painter to paint these vehicles. And the painters themselves dont even know what the paint is themselves

It does not work for RADAR/LASER GUN applications because radar guns work on fixed objects measuring distances. :D
www.ga.com

·
Registered
161 Posts
whoo. last i knew headlightes were the strongest radar reflecters because thats what they do. air force stealth tech depends on kevlar/grafite construction and shape, not likely most biles.

·
Registered
93 Posts
stealth technology cannot be reversed engineered, so good luck finding out what the shit
is made out of, that would be like being given the keys to every door
in Area 51... which doesnt exsist[8)]

·
Registered
270 Posts
Originally posted by seanmcc
Ok....lots of questions to answer...the 1st one with the two vehicles side by side.... the radar wil identify 2 seperate targets...its just harder. In Ontario the officer MUST first estimate the speed of the vehicle and then use RADAR to confirm. You must be retrained every two years. With our training I usually estimate to within 2-3km/h consistently. You must be able to stand in court and say without a doubt that the vehcile targeted is the one ticketed. Detectors help, but are illegal here. A good RADAR operator will use "instant on", only opening/activating the antennae when he chooses a vehicle thus diminishing the effectiveness of the detector, great if you are behind the targeted vehicle.....not so great if you are the target. With LASER, you have no chance at all. Your detector might indicate a LASER "hit", but it's already too late, the speed has been registered. LASER is pinpoint and does not "stray" past the targeted vehicle. Lstly...we have "detector-detectors".....they are awesome and no detector is immune, so don't believe the hype....we have seized all types from Valentine One's to the Radio-shack specials!!! Of course not all departments have this tecnology as it is quite expensive and it depends on priorities....in Ontario, traffic safety is of extreme importance and thusly, money is spent on technology. Lastly, all things being equal, bikes are slighlty harder to target with RADAR...if you are the only guy within view however...you are toast. LASER removes that issue altogether... the only real sure fire defence...don't speed!! But that sux!! Play safe and have fun...hope this info helps

Sean

P.S. To all the "all cops are assholes crowd"....I hope you read this and understand, we are not all bad....and in the end, we have a job to do, just like anyone else.
I live in Virginia, and here detectors are illegal, however, laser jammers are not. The only problem is that most cops here use radar, not laser. I'm in law school, and for the record, unless you got hit by the radar, you don't get the ticket. You cannot accurately tell the speed of a vehicle riding beside another. That will not hold up in court if you have a good lawyer.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Don't waste money on LASER/RADAR jammers...there is only one out there that has any sort of sucess (I'll have to re-read my course notes to find out which). Anything from Rockey Mountain is pure garbage.

"You cannot accurately tell the speed of a vehicle riding beside another. That will not hold up in court if you have a good lawyer"

AGree 100%, you will not get a conviction in Ontario with out an accurate read on a vehicle. Our current RADAR, the Genesis II is able to track two targets at once. The operators traing allows him/her to dinstinguish which target is the faster. I generally teach my guys not to bother with this unless very obvious....i.e you have a truck and a bike beside each other. You get two readings...100km/h and 135km/h. You visually observe the bike to be faster then the truck...easy ticket (for the record, I have never ticketed a sport bike rider...Harley riders are another matter....)

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Originally posted by mrtrojanap7
you could use RAM....Radar absorbing Material, but that is probably hard to get. they used to put that shit on the nighthawk. now on the more advanced planes, like the f22 raptor i think they use a combo of that and a spray.
My understanding(and someone feel free to correct me if I am off) is that the material is only a small part of what makes stealth planes hard to pickup on radar. The majority of the stealth is from the shape of the aircraft. They are designed to give the smallest possible radar signature by putting angles on the plane that will aid the materials in either absorbing, or deflecting radar signals off in a useless direction. From the front an F22 isn't totally invisible to radar, but it's radar signature is reduced down to something like that of a small bird. So even if you could totally modify your bike with stealth materials and redesign the shape of the plastics, you woudl still be able to be read on radar, you would just present a much smaller target.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.