Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't hear my radiator fan kicking on and it's been that way for a few months now. It doesn't overheat, but I worry it may if I go on a long ride.

I checked the fuse and it's not that. Unless I checked the wrong fuse...

Any tips on troubleshooting this would be awesome. Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, I'll try that. I don't think anything' stuck in the fan. It doesn't even try to turn.

Is it a big deal if it doesn't come on at all? Most bikes don't even have radiators and coolant so I would think just the fact it has that should keep it cool enough to ride it as long as I like. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
145 Posts
The bikes that don't have radiators are designed to be air cooled, the 250 is not. If you are only doing short rides it may not be getting hot enough to need the fan.

Disconnect the radiator fan switch located on the clutch side of the radiator and using a jumper wire connect the two terminals. If the fan comes on then the switch is bad.

·
I ♥ Cute Cats!
22,795 Posts
It takes a lot to get that damned fan to kick on. I think all the while I lived in California I had mine come on once. Then out here I had it kick on a couple of weeks ago when I hit some stop and go traffic (and it was 90+ degrees outside). The Too-Fiddies just don't produce a crazy amount of heat and very little airflow through the radiator is needed.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
like mentioned above if you are constantly moving and getting alot of air across the radiator your fan probably doesn't need to be on , if your warning light isnt coming on then you are more than likely fine ..

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Long rides are no problem. The airflow through the radiator keeps the fan off. It only normally kicks in at slow speeds in traffic in hot weather.

If your bike isn't overheating, the system's working as it should.

Rob

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Fan kicking in in a parking lot sounds OK - you aren't going fast enough to get the airflow through the radiator.

True of Houston as well if it's a half hour at commuting speeds with some start-stop. Wouldn't really expect it to cut in at steady speeds over about 50 mph though because the fan isn't doing anything useful at that speed.

Rob

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey, turns out it was kicking on after all. I let it idle at around 2000 rpms for a few minutes outside and I saw it kick in. Thanks everyone!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts