Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know about the bars type, but you shouldn't take the bike over 225 degrees F. Anything past that, and things start to boil and cook. You could take it in and see about changing out the thermostatic switch. It should be just a little sensor that opens and closes the flow from the radiator. It should also kick the fans on. Or, maybe there is a separate one for the fans. Hope this helps. My fan kicks on at about 210 to 215 F.

-Cops want a hot pursuit, so entertain them! -Shadee

·
Registered
206 Posts
can anybody here with a 98 or 99 zx6r owners manual tell me what temperature each bar on the thermostat equals too? I wish my displays in numbers too instead of these stupid bars.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
As long as the fan kicks on, who cares? I've been sitting in traffic before, and had the fan come on and cool the bike back down to normal all by itself. If you're worried about the engine overheating, my advice is don't worry, have a little faith in Kaw engineers:D

·
Registered
206 Posts
At what temperature is normal for the radiator fan to kick in. Last night i was riding and usually my bike doesn't go over 4 bars(1999 zx6r) and it was at 5 bars last night. the fan doesnt' kick in till 5 bars. how do i get it to kick in at 4 bars? and

when should i start worrying about my operating temps before i damage my bike?

·
Registered
206 Posts
only reason i am concerned is because i never had my bike go up that high before. it's always been at 3 or 4 bars. never at 5, i guess i got spoiled, so now everytime i see it at 5 bars, i feel like i'm overheating.

but the fan does kick on at 5 bars.

Originally posted by TommyV

As long as the fan kicks on, who cares? I've been sitting in traffic before, and had the fan come on and cool the bike back down to normal all by itself. If you're worried about the engine overheating, my advice is don't worry, have a little faith in Kaw engineers:D

·
Registered
65 Posts
On my 95 6r the fan kicks in as soon as the temp is halfway up the gauge. I have only had it on when im stuck in traffic and its a hot day. But it doesnt stay on long before it is back under halfway so I dont see how it could over heat if you have enough coolent and everything is working fine.

"Speed kills, but atleast you get there faster."

·
Registered
720 Posts
If it goes up and stays just start lane splitting. I only split if I get kind of close to the traffic light. When it turns red, hurry up and get up there.

You gota have balls like these to drive a bike!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Linm, my '99 does the same and that's perfectly fine. As long as the fan starts at 5 bars and the bars dont increase, everything's fine.

Andrej

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.