Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So looks like, somehow the fan got pushed into the radiator and the rubbing put a hole in it. Havent pulled it apart yet to see how bad it is. Just wanted to know if its ok to use the off the shelf stop leak stuff if its just a small leak?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
if its just 1 spot in the core, you can fix it-but a radiator stop leak isnt going to help with an aluminum radiator-theyre better with copper stuff.

the same thing happened to my integra-it had 1 core "row" that got chaffed through. i took the cooling fins out of both sides of the problem area. then i made a clean cut around the spot and spread the core open. rinse it out with water and then spray it with compressed air to dry it off. mix up a good little puddle of jb weld and fill the entire row (you may want to pinch it about 1/4-1/2" on the top and bottom of the hole you just made bigger- use needle nose vise grips but be delecate. once the area is filled up completely with jb, pinch the end of the hole and let it cure up for a few hrs.

i swear by this trick-its worked every time for me and my buddies...1 or 2 rows isnt going to hurt performance...hell even if its 3 or 4 you should be fine. its a lot cheaper than sending it out

once you're ready to re-install the fan, buy some vacuum hose and cut a slit down it. now you can slide the hose over the fan's shroud where its in contact with the radiator. id suggest a little silicone to keep the hose on the fan-but you could get away without it.

anyways, problem solved and all for under 15 bucks and a few hrs of work.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally got some time to work on the radiator. Thanks everyone for the feedback. Suprajztwenty - JB weld worked like a charm, thanks for the tip.

·
Powerhungry
38,157 Posts
So looks like, somehow the fan got pushed into the radiator and the rubbing put a hole in it. Havent pulled it apart yet to see how bad it is. Just wanted to know if its ok to use the off the shelf stop leak stuff if its just a small leak?
never ever use that "repair" in a bottle JUNK. unless you are on the side of the road, and thats your ONLY choice to get home. it IS more trouble than its worth.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
^^^^^^^^^+1!!!

trust me dude, i know from experience-somtimes the bottle doesnt even get you home...it just gives you a warped prelude head (btw-im parting out an 88si, anyone have one and need parts, lol)

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
i got to use the trick yet again on my girlfiend's friends car. 2 cores torn from bumping the condenser...you know women, they fill it up before they leave and they just assume its going to drip a little...a block down the road and its already half a gallon empty. so shes picking up her kid from my chick babysitting and so i decided to help out and fix the cores, it was quick cause the system was already empty and was out in the open. so 20 minutes and shes leak free (thanks jb quick)and the system takes coolant and builds up pressure.

so anyways-now HER boyfriend says that using the stuff will ruin the motor, so now hes tryin to say i screwed up her car some how...i swear, some people...

anyways, just wanted to rant about it...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts