Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this morning out in Oregon I see the first real rain in what feels like a long, long time, showing that summer is soon coming to an end.

Its strange how rain can be refreshing after a long bout of sunshine, and how sunshine is refreshing after a long about of rain.

I have in the last year or so though began to become fairly fond of rain riding because of the technical challenge of it. Let a few heavy rains clear the roads out and make them clean and its amazing how smooth and predictable rain can make throttle steering, and yet provide you the circomstances to demand the corrections as just one example of many, the scent of the wind, the cool air around you. Its just another wonderfull world or atmosphere of riding to me.

I suppose I just admire the sensations and technical challenge wet provides.

Anyone else feel this way about the wet?.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I love it, aside from two things -- my jacket is white, so it really gets dingy as hell (I know that's kind of a chick-ish thing to gripe about, but I can't help it,) but mainly what I dislike is getting behind a car in the spray, and I can't see shit. Someone needs to make a helmet with windshield wipers on it. As long as it's just my road, I love it. These bikes sure do get nasty from about the pegs back when rain riding, though.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I don't intentionally head out for a ride when it's expected to rain all day, but if I get in some light/moderate rain it's no big deal. It does force you to work on being really smooth with all control inputs. Can't say I like riding in torrential thunderstorms though. Too much water on the road and you can't see shit (or be seen). Bad combo all the way around.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
got my ass soaked yesterday. it happens a good bit round here lately. it dont bother me anymore.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its the technical demands that make me feel a fondness for it. You have to be much smoother in the full wet, but if you do so, everything goes right, its very rewarding to feel silky smooth and know your on a surface that will tell you when you do something wrong.., and if you do, it helps you learn the mistake provided you don't overstep it so much that you crash.

And if you wish to play and test your limits carefully, its not as violent about correcting you as dry pavement could be, a slip of the tire here, a push there, and as long as the initial slide was'nt to violent, then the come back is gentler then a violent 'snap' hookup ( compared to dry pavement ).
I adore to gently throttle steer corrections in corners with the backend in wet because of that.

I just find it strangely rewarding and figured I'd see how many others might respond to it. I have a great respect for the skill and concentration it takes to ride swiftly in wet, and to outright race in wet, it can be wonderfully challenging and to see the GP riders do it as well as they do demands a certain admiration. :)

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
44,975 Posts
I used to like mountain biking in the rain but I don't dig it much on my motorcycle.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I don't have a 636, but I figured I share my opinion anyway.

It poured in my MSF class, which was a little unnerving being my first time on a bike, and I got caught in some rain for the first time a week ago when I was out riding.

I was about ready to start back home when it was starting to rain anyway, but the hour ride back was not bad at all. Probably wouldn't go seek out rain, as I would prefer a sunny day, but I wouldn't hesitate to go out for a ride in a little rain either. The differences in traction makes me work more on my skills too.

Rain on the visor is a little annoying, but I just duck a bit so the wind coming off the windscreen blows it right off.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm just north of you (north of Seattle) & also take pride in my rain riding ability. I like the way you have to force yourself to finesse your throttle inputs.

·
Registered
130 Posts
the folks at kevin schwantz suzuki school actually look forward to a little wet during the three day course...it forces you to REALLY apply some of the techniques that you learn. the end result is you apply them better when the road is dry and go faster by default.

i agree with you guys...a little wet riding is awesome. it really clears your head and forces you to concentrate on every aspect of control. and with good gear the inconveniance of being soaked can be pretty well eliminated :)

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I wear a mesh joe rocket jacket for the summer and on the commute to work today I started to sprinkle. At 85 that shizza can hurt. stings like hell

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Originally posted by Hawk
I crashed during some light rain so I'm now scared to ride in the rain. I avoid it at all cost.
yeah I could see that... I have a 65mi commute to work now... so sometimes I don't have a choice.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I honestly hate riding in the rain because here in Hawaii with all the oily roads and sewer caps, it's not a fun experience. I have countless times gone sliding over oil, etc. only to have the rear hook up on the non-oily part of the road and launch me a ways or give me a head bobble. I obviously try to avoid oil spots and sewer covers, but there's just too much of 'em here. That and the fact I don't like getting too wet and having by baby get all dirty :D.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Originally posted by sakura
I honestly hate riding in the rain because here in Hawaii with all the oily roads and sewer caps, it's not a fun experience. I have countless times gone sliding over oil, etc. only to have the rear hook up on the non-oily part of the road and launch me a ways or give me a head bobble. I obviously try to avoid oil spots and sewer covers, but there's just too much of 'em here. That and the fact I don't like getting too wet and having by baby get all dirty :D.
Exactly. I hit an oil patch during a rain, couldn't even see it, and low sided. Sucked bigtime.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Me too. Ive had nothing but bad expierences riding in the rain, I was almost killed the first time I was in the rain on my RR. A truck pulled out in front of me and I was going like 60, I braked hard and the rear tire just slid and slid and that truck got closer and closer, the front slowed me down alot but I needed that rear to come to a complete stop and it was just sliding away. THANKFULLY the truck put it in reverse and backed up and I literally scraped his grill with my mirrors.

That was literally ten years off my life and the biggest heartattack ive ever had. No more rain riding for me ever.

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
Originally posted by garry
I don't intentionally head out for a ride when it's expected to rain all day, but if I get in some light/moderate rain it's no big deal. It does force you to work on being really smooth with all control inputs. Can't say I like riding in torrential thunderstorms though. Too much water on the road and you can't see shit (or be seen). Bad combo all the way around.
+1

--David

·
Registered
116 Posts
Back in March, it rained almost EVERYDAY here in Hawaii. Since my bike is the only mode of transportation for me, I rode it regardless. After a few weeks of riding in the rain, I could ride almost as fast I did on dry pavement. I agree that delicate throttle and steering input is key to rain riding, using the rear brake sparingly is another thing to remember.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.