Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
I believe it's a resonator. Which means its only purpose is to quite noise created by the intake.

·
Banned
5,572 Posts
The part number 16181-0002, Is called a Tank Resonator.

All it does it quiet the sound coming through the ram air.

Some people have removed this safely without any problems, and have reported the intake being louder.

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
they call it a resonator, but in all reality i think it just is a catch can for water possibly, i don't really see the purpose for it, take it out if you'd like ;) its actually one of the mods listed in the "kit race manual"

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
is there a write up and whats this race kit manual
the kit manual is the kawi race team manual, it tells you stuff bout the kit ecu etc.. gotta get it from kawi ;)

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Water droplets are never going to catch into that little "water reservoir" at 100 mph plus. I did remove that little black box.

Just unscrew the 2 or 3 screws holding it there.

Then just plug the hole with I believe a 3/4" PVC screw on pipe plug. Home Depot sells these for less than a buck.

After doing this mod, all I noticed was a REDUCTION in sound from the intake. Most noticeable was the less of a howl. Think about it, what happens when you blow on an emtpy bottle, it makes a sound. Now imagine blowin on that bottle at 130. It's going to make a cool sound. And that, I think, is why they had this part on there. For the distinct Kawi houl.

I'd imagine the Kawi race manual would suggest removing this part because it interferes (slightly) with the air flow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts