Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When it came to remove the screws on the carb float bowl, some of the stripped down because they were in so tight. Anybody else ran into this problem? So now I've gotta wait till tomorrow to buy some screw extractors.
Good thing the factory pro kit came with new screws to put in.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Anyone who plans on re-jetting I highly recommend immediately replacing the philips screw with an allen screw.

You can find them at your local Lowe's or hardware stores. I believe it's a size 12 or 14mm allen screw you want.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Buy some needlenose vice grip pliers and clamp them on tight around the stripped screw head. They will break loose and you can get them out. Then replace those with allen head screws so you dont have to worry next time. Factory Pro supplies allen head screws with their kit.

·
Registered
560 Posts
For anyone else coming across this thread... use a QUALITY screwdriver that doesn't have a worn out tip, and is the proper size, and you're not likely to strip the heads out of those screws.

I've had my carbs apart many times over while tuning, trying, and retrying all sorts of different combinations. Not a single screw is stripped, and none of them even look the slightest bit worn!

Good screwdriver FTW!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got them out with a pair of vise-grips. Man I am sure i used the right bit-size. Now i replaced them with the allen screws that came with the FP kit.
No more worries about stripping them:)

·
Premium Member
41,542 Posts
Having a worn out screwdriver doesn't help but those screws are really soft too... Doesn't take much to strip them.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Stripped the screw on the carb...

Hey all I was trying to shim the needle jets, but the screw to the upper right of one of the carbs got stripped. Is there any way to get it out without actually removing the carbs? Is the screw too small/delicate to use one of those screw extractor bits? Also, If I'm able to extract the screw, can I buy a replacement screw from any hardware store, or does it have to be kawi oem? Also if anyone can recommend the kind of screw extractor to get, it would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
721 Posts
you can get a replacement from the hardware store. As for an extractor use vice grips. The screws an the carb are so cheap it isn't even funny. If your under warranty and anything happens its pretty easy to tell if you messed with the carbs. Whatever the problem is they'll blame the jetting. Ask me how I know this.

·
Registered
75 Posts
you can get a replacement from the hardware store. As for an extractor use vice grips. The screws an the carb are so cheap it isn't even funny. If your under warranty and anything happens its pretty easy to tell if you messed with the carbs. Whatever the problem is they'll blame the jetting. Ask me how I know this.
Do you think I would be able to fit the vise grip in there without removing carbs? I haven't had a chance to look at the clearance since the bike is put back together now. Will the vise grip really hold it though?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Same thing, same screw, lastnight. I was banging my head off of the wall. The very last screw.... It's very tight in there, I tried everything but the frame just seemed to be in the way. I was about to slide the carbs out, I was right there, then figured to cut my losses and put it back together stock. Looks like a nice winter project, when I can settle down. Every extractor kit I had was slightly too large, Im going to have to hunt for a small kit. Good luck man.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I say if you're going to be tuning it/doing maintenance on your carbs,
invest in a JIS screwdriver.

Some hobby shops carry them, but not all.
Worst comes to worst, order them online.

I have also used a vice grip to tighten and loosen since I couldn't find anywhere in my city where they sell JIS screwdrivers.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Same thing, same screw, lastnight. I was banging my head off of the wall. The very last screw.... It's very tight in there, I tried everything but the frame just seemed to be in the way. I was about to slide the carbs out, I was right there, then figured to cut my losses and put it back together stock. Looks like a nice winter project, when I can settle down. Every extractor kit I had was slightly too large, Im going to have to hunt for a small kit. Good luck man.
If you're able to find an extractor that works for now my bike is staying stock (but I feel as though I a missing something lol), please post the size of the bit. Thanks. And yea that screw $#%@ing pisses me off.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Grab one of the 20" screwdrivers from Home Depot. It makes that screw a breeze.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Heh. Same screw with me, too.

Used a cordless dremel to make a flathead slot in the middle of the screw. The cutting blade was a bit too large to fit in there easily, so I first filed it down by saw a large rock for a couple of minutes. Then went to work very carefully on the screw. Popped right out when I was finished.

·
Registered
14 Posts
How do you know this? =D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Stripped Carb Drain Screw..

So, in attempting to clean the carbs on my bike, I managed to strip one of the drain screws on the carburetor. I've been looking around on how to get the screw out, despite it being stripped..and it seems the number one solution is the use a Dremel tool to cut a slot in the screw, then use a flat head. The problem is, I don't own a Dremel, and it seems it would be cheaper just to replace the carb than to buy a Dremel to get one screw out.

So my question is, are there any cheaper ways to remove a stripped screw than to buy a Dremel? If it helps, heres a link to few pics so you guys know how bad it is...

Thank you,
Matt

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b99/Unity00/Bike/IMG_0034.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b99/Unity00/Bike/IMG_0037.jpg

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
Have you tried vice grips? It looks as if you could get a good bite around the circumference with some needle nose vice grips.

How did you round out that bolt anywho? Using a standard allen wrench instead of a metric one or something?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts