Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 10003 Posts

·
Un-Stealth Administrator
8,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDIT

!!!!ATTENTION!!!!

This is now the official Gun Whore Thread, and really only the last couple pages even matter to whatever we're currently discussing at the moment. My initial question below about CCW weapons has been answered by like page 3 or something, and I ended up with an H&k USP Compact .40SW, and couldn't possibly be any happier with it. The thing's forever as accurate as I am, haven't found it's limit yet, is very easily concealed, and is a freakin BLAST to shoot. With that out of the way, on with the show. If anyone randomly posts "I'd use XXX as a concealed carry piece if I were you", this is your warning that you WILL be mocked and taunted. ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I posted about this in the PWT but figured I'd make a new post to get more audience (and make it so I can police it and keep the haters out) :D:p

I'm considering getting a compact or semi compact piece for my carry...the 92FS is just too big...it "works" but it's very hard to conceal.

I'm considering the Walther P99 and the H&K 45 Compact, but I'm open to other suggestions (though if you're going to say SA XD or SW M&P, just say so, I already know a bunch about them...don't need the fanatical rants :p)

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
i like the glock sub compact. 9mm its was easier to shoot than a sub. .45
Not a real big fan of the sub-compacts unless they have the magazine that extends the grip to "normal" size. Three-finger shooting with a big bore isn't very conducive to accuracy. I carry a glock 23 compact .40 and that works fine. But as soon as Smith releases the compact M&P .45 the Glock is getting traded in.

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
BOTH are very well balanced once loaded w/ a full magazine, i will say that i prefer the .40cal over the .45, easier to control & well cheaper to shoot now days w/ the lead price being so fucking much, the h&k trigger is better & they are a bit more reliable & have been out for ALOT longer & the aftermarket parts are available, the p99 is a great gun & i can't really say anything bad about it, BUT it in reality is just the s&w model 99 w/ a different stamp, get ahold of me in the pm's if you want to talk about a deal on them (have a h&k ups 40c in stock) ;)

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
Not a real big fan of the sub-compacts unless they have the magazine that extends the grip to "normal" size. Three-finger shooting with a big bore isn't very conducive to accuracy. I carry a glock 23 compact .40 and that works fine. But as soon as Smith releases the compact M&P .45 the Glock is getting traded in.
see now i LOVE my 27 that thing has been a beast & i'll prob keep it till it dies on me & then i prob still replace the parts, i had one of the m&p's the other day & i can't say i like them, but firearms are ALL preference & S&W makes a quality product for sure, but with what sky wants it will actually be in the compact are (one size bigger than the sub compacts)

& sky my best recomendation to actually CARRY w/ you would likely be a glock 26/27 or the walther ppk/s (really thing & "concealable" )

·
Powerhungry
37,502 Posts
how big is that 92 anyway?
take a pic with it next to something for comparison?
and the box of ammo doesnt help. maybe a 12oz can??

my bros .40 baby eagle is just about perfect, in size. ive ever shot it so cant say anything about that.
what is that considered? a sub, or??

·
Registered
10,037 Posts

my bros .40 baby eagle is just about perfect, in size. ive ever shot it so cant say anything about that.
the baby eagle is considered a "compact frame" & the 92 would be a full frame gun & i believe its a 5" barrel, the compact is usually a 4" barrel & the sub's are typically a 3.5" or lower, the 92 is a big gun but dependable as hell, now the baby eagle i'll just keep my lips sealed :D

·
Powerhungry
37,502 Posts
the baby eagle is considered a "compact frame" now the baby eagle i'll just keep my lips sealed :D
not good guns?
as far as i know, hes had zero problems with it. had it for prob 5+ years.

i dont have one yet, but would ike to pick something up. for home protection, aswell as to carry.
so id like all the info i can get.
would prefer a .40 over a 9mm tho....

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
not good guns?
as far as i know, hes had zero problems with it. had it for prob 5+ years.

i dont have one yet, but would ike to pick something up. for home protection, aswell as to carry.
so id like all the info i can get.
would prefer a .40 over a 9mm tho....
i don't personally like them, just "feel" cheap to me & i guess thats cause i'll spoil myself w/ guns or just simply not at all, .40 is a GREAT round & i'd def recommend it ;) & as i told sky let me know if your looking for anything & i can prob get ya set up ;)

·
Registered
10,037 Posts

·
Powerhungry
37,502 Posts
i don't personally like them, just "feel" cheap to me & i guess thats cause i'll spoil myself w/ guns or just simply not at all, .40 is a GREAT round & i'd def recommend it ;) & as i told sky let me know if your looking for anything & i can prob get ya set up ;)
cool man. will do
uh..how does that work, shipping a firearm?

*sorry for cluttering ur thread sky*

but its not like those 2^^:rolleyes::mad:

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
cool man. will do
uh..how does that work, shipping a firearm?

thats not difficult at all man, basically i have to ship it to another dealer & then you go fill out the federal paperwork there & then once cleared you take it home, basically pay me & then i ship from my license to theirs & thats it, do it all the time ;) & thats knowledge that i'm sure sky would like to know unless he already knew it ;) most times dealers will have a fee for the transfer so we'll have to keep that in mind when & if we were to do something

·
Powerhungry
37,502 Posts
thats not difficult at all man, basically i have to ship it to another dealer & then you go fill out the federal paperwork there & then once cleared you take it home, basically pay me & then i ship from my license to theirs & thats it, do it all the time ;) & thats knowledge that i'm sure sky would like to know unless he already knew it ;) most times dealers will have a fee for the transfer so we'll have to keep that in mind when & if we were to do something
right on.
i think im gonna get my permit with my taxes. prob next week.
i think it will make the process of actually getting the gun from the dealer that much easier.

·
Un-Stealth Administrator
8,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i like the glock sub compact. 9mm its was easier to shoot than a sub. .45
I'm really not a glock fan. I've owned some of the true-to-life airsoft pistols (the high end ones that are so accurate reproductions that you can swap grips and slides most of the time), and I've fired a few real steels down range, and it just didn't suit me whatsoever.
BOTH are very well balanced once loaded w/ a full magazine, i will say that i prefer the .40cal over the .45, easier to control & well cheaper to shoot now days w/ the lead price being so fucking much, the h&k trigger is better & they are a bit more reliable & have been out for ALOT longer & the aftermarket parts are available, the p99 is a great gun & i can't really say anything bad about it, BUT it in reality is just the s&w model 99 w/ a different stamp, get ahold of me in the pm's if you want to talk about a deal on them (have a h&k ups 40c in stock) ;)
Everything I've read said that the SW M99 was the S&W copy of the Walther, not the other way around, that Walther did the actual design and engineering. Plus the Walther model has a few fairly significant visual differences that make it look more exotic.
& sky my best recomendation to actually CARRY w/ you would likely be a glock 26/27 or the walther ppk/s (really thing & "concealable" )
PPK's are too small for my hand, and the Glocks just don't do anything for me ergonomically.

Baby eagle is a compact...nothing wrong with it, it's just a very average performing gun for a fairly high price for what you're getting. It sells more from nostalgia over the .50AE to guys who don't have the $1200 to shell out for the real thing than anything else. lol As for the 92FS, here's some pics next to a normal 12oz Coke can:

And don't bitch...yes it's in my kitchen, and yes the counter's dirty as fuck. lol

No worries man, this is what this thread's for. :D
I knew about the licensed dealer shipping. I'll drop you a PM to let you know what's up, man, I have a pretty good plan right now, so we'll see what we can work out. I'm taking the concealed class on Tuesday, so I should have my CCW permit by the end of the 1st week in april.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Is there a range in tampa that will let you rent out guns? If so I'd do that.
Glock 19 is the best combat handgun ever made!

·
Banned
3,521 Posts
glock 19 isnt a combat handgun. its a compact. the best combat handgun ever made is a 1911

not that i dont love glock but if you want a combat handgun get a full size grip and barrel

as far as the on topic guns go. im not a fan of the walther the trigger is crap. the QA99 is a little better but still not good.

the h&k is another one im not so fond of but there trigger is better. the lem is a good one if you can get used to it. there double single has about a 12 lbs first pull which is horrific

·
ratherberiding
18,439 Posts
Personally I think the 76FG is easiest to untamp and my .55 Clauph will more than suffice in any intruder action assuming the reliability of the mag-loaded sub-compact release scope works in the.....ok...I'm done...just my .02c

·
28,939 Posts
how much money u lookin to drop on a carry piece sky? if your still thinking about recoil you can look into picking up something with ports, or get ports gunsmithed in.

as far as concealment, with the right holster just about any gun can be concealed. dont skimp on holsters, i bought a few cheapos and was never happy with them, picked up a custom leather paddle and love it. i tend to carry small of the back alot even though most advise against it, just seems to be an easy spot to hide it.

·
Un-Stealth Administrator
8,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Is there a range in tampa that will let you rent out guns? If so I'd do that.
Yes, but not 'any' gun, they have a very limited list.
jalap-inya said:
Glock 19 is the best combat handgun ever made!
The glock 19 isn't a combat handgun. Not to mention that I absolutely can't stand glocks. They don't fit my hand at all, they look like smashed asshole, and the recoil is very sub-par. I love shooting, and I couldn't wait to stop shooting the glock so I could pick up one of the other pieces we brought with us.
how much money u lookin to drop on a carry piece sky? if your still thinking about recoil you can look into picking up something with ports, or get ports gunsmithed in.

as far as concealment, with the right holster just about any gun can be concealed. dont skimp on holsters, i bought a few cheapos and was never happy with them, picked up a custom leather paddle and love it. i tend to carry small of the back alot even though most advise against it, just seems to be an easy spot to hide it.
I have a pretty decent paddle holster, but its this nylon plastic compound and clips the gun into it at the trigger guard, so it makes it a huge pain in the ass to get it out. You need two hands, one hand to pull a tab to loosen the clip part and the other hand to grasp the pistol and rotate it a certain way to get it to slide out. So freaking dumb. I have a normal in-the-pants holster coming in today so we'll see if that's any better, but the hardest part is that the grip width is so wide. It's hard to keep that concealed.

As for recoil...I"m more worried about the 40 kicking so hard that it's not enjoyable. I know my first shot would be on target, and that's really all that matters with a .40 JHP...I just don't want to buy a gun that I won't enjoy shooting.
Personally I think the 76FG is easiest to untamp and my .55 Clauph will more than suffice in any intruder action assuming the reliability of the mag-loaded sub-compact release scope works in the.....ok...I'm done...just my .02c
You forgot the .50AE Challupa with the fixed I-beam rail system.:Laughing rolling:

1 - 20 of 10003 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.