Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing a rattle can job (PJ1 Kawi Green) on my track plastic today....the paint says apply light coats in 15 minute intervals...but it DOES NOY say how long to wait before appling the clear coat!

Anybody know...should I let the color coat dry 100% before applying the clear?

Thanks,

Frank

·
Registered
390 Posts
I would give it at least 12 to 24 hours so that it has time to dry and harden. Don't forget to show pictures when you get finished.
Good-luck!![:M86]

·
Registered
703 Posts
.....color coat needs about a day to "gas off" depending apon temperature. it would not be able to gas off under the clear. some times you can tell by smell if it is "dry"........

·
Registered
390 Posts
Originally posted by ldrexler
.....color coat needs about a day to "gas off" depending apon temperature. it would not be able to gas off under the clear. some times you can tell by smell if it is "dry"........
[:Agree]

·
Registered
11 Posts
New here but to Kawi Forum :)But I have a lot of "Rattle Can" expriance. I panted a TL1000R with that color changing stuff and a 87 Hurricane a few diffrent colors a few diffrent times.

Most of the time the can will tell you how long to wait. If you let it dry for more than the 15min to 1 hour window you need to let it fully cure. For most Spray-paints it is 72 or so hours. I know from personal experiance what happens if you dont wait (your paint bubbles and peels off and that is no fun.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all the input!

Amazingly the instructions on the cans or PJ1 website are not clear as to how long you have to wait between color coats and clear...or perhaps the fumes and the beers have just gotten to me [:p]

I went ahead and put the clear on the fender about an hour after the last color coat....looks pretty good considering it's the first thing I've ever painted...

..the tail section isn't looking quite so good..had a nozzel malfunction on a new can of paint...the paint just kinda poured on...some nasty runs..wiped the best I could...put several more coats on and about ready to clear coat (got some junk in the paint to...think that whole can was just bad).

Painted the lower with DupiColor gloss black...it came out great (IMO)...probalby should have gone with the Gabber Green from Dupicolor...but thought the PJ1 would be a better match..it's not bad but much darker..but that might be due to the way I'm applying it?

Anyway, going to wait until tomorrow for the upper...this is much more time consuming than I expected...will post pics soon.

BTW..the Attack Performace stuff was a great fit...had some problems with the slip on DZUS fasteners..will post up seperate on that issue.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Ok I am going to assume everyone here who commented has no painting experiance... Paint does not need time to "gas off" you want to apply clear coat following the same intervalls you did with painting.

if you allow the paint time to cure your creating allot more unnecessary work that could create a complete respray.

base color 15 minutes apply at least 3 coats after the last coat has gone on again wait 15 minutes and begin with clear coat, repeat as necessary.

if you wait 12 to 24 hours you have to reprep the entire surface. I assume your painting in your garage... one way of keeping dust down is hose down the garage floor prior to painting and while it wont stop it from happening it will cut it down..

I just read dustins post and he has the right idea... you dont want to give it to much time

·
Registered
151 Posts
Originally posted by gumby
Ok I am going to assume everyone here who commented has no painting experiance... Paint does not need time to "gas off" you want to apply clear coat following the same intervalls you did with painting.

if you allow the paint time to cure your creating allot more unnecessary work that could create a complete respray.

base color 15 minutes apply at least 3 coats after the last coat has gone on again wait 15 minutes and begin with clear coat, repeat as necessary.

if you wait 12 to 24 hours you have to reprep the entire surface. I assume your painting in your garage... one way of keeping dust down is hose down the garage floor prior to painting and while it wont stop it from happening it will cut it down..

I just read dustins post and he has the right idea... you dont want to give it to much time
[:+1]

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the input!

Got the upper painted Sunday morning and it came out pretty good...got pretty even coats (had one spot with some runs). I learned that PJ1 paint is just prone to run on the first coat..even if very light...after that it does pretty well...I guess the stickiness of the first coat helps prevent the runs.

Anyway, in my attempt to deal with the runs and nasty nozzel malfunction I encounted with the tail...I added several more coats...this resulted in it being a little darker. The tail pretty much looks like crap compared to the upper...will maybe attempt to sand it back down and repaint after the end of the season.

The paint on the tail still feels a little stick after a couple of days [V] ...is this due to the extra coats or maybe I put on too much clear?....do you think the paint will harden with time?...sure hope so! Is there anything I can do to help it fully cure?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.