Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, its about time I get serious about my desire to re-paint the 636.

As I am on a tight budget, its going to be a rattle can job.
I have no prior experience with painting anything.

Im not decided on a color yet, black or blue, and I think I want it to be flat, or at least some sort of dulled look.

Can anyone give me an suggestions about which brand of Rattle Can I should look into. As well as other painting supplies I might need to strip and prime the parts?

If i go blue, I want it to be similair to the new 636 matte blue.

Thanks for any info!

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
ive had good results with dupont spray paint.your gonna need to scuff the paint you have on there to get the new paint to stick.i would also use primer.you do not need to strip the old paint off.from my understanding the 06 blue is the same exact color as the 05 it just has a matte or low gloss clear on top whereas the 05 has a high gloss clear on top.im not sure how easy it would be to find the low gloss clear in spray paint.hope i helped some.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Rattle can is usually not recommended, but if that's the way you want to go here's some advice.

Buy more paint than you need.

Spray in quick bursts back and forth. Don't "tag" the bike. You want the paint to adhere evenly and you don't want any of it to run.

Do several coats, don't worry about coverage for the first few. Remember, you don't want excess paint to run of you will have to wipe it off and start ALL OVER.

Tape off EVERYTHING. You wouldn't believe where paint can go.

Depending on your plastics, (rash or no rash) you may not need to do anything for prep. A light sanding with a high grit (1000+) will help the paint the stick. If you do need prep work, remember that this is the most important part of painting, if your patchwork, bondo, plastic filler isn't smooth, it will show in your end result.

Take your time.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ill have to look into what kinds of gloss I can get... thanks for the tips.

When you say tape of everything... are you assuming that I am painting it while still on the bike?
Cause I was planning on taking it all off the bike first. No taping needed if I do it that way, right?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Right, I painted my fairings (old bike) off the bike, but I left the gas tank on the bike and taped off everything else. If you are removing everything then no worries, just make sure you still tape off the cap for the gas tank and anywhere else you don't want pant to be, even if you think it won't go there.

·
Registered
438 Posts
yeah my friend repainted his bike a few weeks ago he actually bought a cheap spray gun and borrowed a compresser it looked pretty good. as far as spray paint Ive never seen it done but I say go for it!!!!

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
If you decide on rattle can, Krylon Semi-flat black (2 coats w/wetsanding after the final), and Krylon Matte Clear coat (3-4 coats depending on area (tank-the more the better), is a great combo and holds up pretty well. I sprayed my RR with the combo I mentioned above and it turned out great and held up nicely. The only problem was that if any gas gets onto the paint it'll eat it away quickly.

couple pics

·
Registered
270 Posts
Tips for the actual process

-Let the cans sit in luke warm/hot water before you use them.
-Continue spraying 12" beyond you desired target.
-Prep, prep, PREP! Spend more time sanding the primer than anything else.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome. That's just what I'm looking for. Thanks for all the tips guys, i really appreciate it. Check back for more noob painting questions, once I'm underway.

You guys rock.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Are you sure you want to rattle can it? I know you said you were on a tight budget, but you might end up spending almost as much on spray paint as you would professional paint and end up with a waste of your time and money. It just isn't going to hold up well. I would ask friends and family members if they know of anybody with a paint gun and compressor, then just do it yourself - it's not that hard or expensive.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well if anyone can help me find a place that I can get flat/matte black or blue auto paint... I can do a cost comparison, etc.

I tried but didnt come up with anything substantive. i MAY be able to get a hold of some airbrush equipment.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by stizo
Krylon Matte Clear coat (3-4 coats depending on area (tank-the more the better), is a great combo and holds up pretty well.
So, my understanding that this will help protect the Matte without making it gloss, correct. How durable is it, much less than a true clear coat?

·
Registered
349 Posts
all I can suggest is to 'wet sand' like it's your job.. get a nice 1000 grit paper and use plenty of water. it makes all the difference!! [8D]

·
Registered
975 Posts
Originally posted by RubberDown

So, my understanding that this will help protect the Matte without making it gloss, correct. How durable is it, much less than a true clear coat?
It depends ont the paint you get. I'm going with ColorRite since that's who originally supplied the paint for my bike. Their site, for my color anywys (Candy Flat Raw Plasma Blue) it specifically says "
DO NOT CLEARCOAT THIS COLOR. READ DISCLAIMER OR CALL BEFORE PAINTING.

This color will not have the durability of a high-gloss color due to not requiring clearcoat. "

If you really want to clear coat use Aerosol KK8 Eggshell Clearcoat Kit from ColorRite as well since it'll give a semi-suede eggshell matte tone

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, i think i wanna go with that year of matte blue... I just dont want to have to paint it again so, soon, although once I do it im sure I wont be so hesitant to do it again. How many Aerosol cans you figure for a whole bike? I have no idea...

(btw, i dont get pleasure in being a PITA asking a million questions, so thanks for all your responses guys)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.