Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I was going to bring my bike to work at the weekend but when I was warming her up, I noticed an audible rattle from the engine. It wasn't the cam chain (even though it sounded very like a cam chain rattle) 'cos it was from the left side of the engine and the cam chain is on the right side

Anyway, long story short, I brought her to the bike doctor Monday. He still doesn't know what's wrong, but he's doing the valve clearances anyway. He hopes that it might fix the problem.

Is there anything else it might be? I have a 97 ZX-6R F3 with 33k miles on the clock.

Thanks,
Al.

·
Resident Brit™
1,157 Posts
Does the bike need a service, more so oil etc as it could be lack of oil getting to the relevant parts up top. The only thing i can think of on the left side of the engine could be some kind of piston slapping but as above it would only really be oil related unless its knackered. The only other thing i can think of is the cam/crank shafts. none of which can really be diagnosed over the net but it gives you an idea of where to look.

Russ

·
Registered
282 Posts
my bet is low oil...or a hole in the muffler. Hope the bike doc can figure it out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, when I was poking my head around the engine block trying to figure out where the rattle was coming from, I did smell some exhaust fumes. It might be a small hole in the downpipes. Hmmm, I´ll have a chat with the doc!

I changed the oil myself not so long ago along with the oil filter. The oil pressure light doesn´t come on at all when riding so I think it´s getting around the engine ok.

Anyway, I´ll keep you informed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've heard that the stator can make a noise like that but it would be persistent, not just when cold. *shrug* has it ever been dropped on that side?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, I have the bike back. The valve clearances were done. 8 new shims are in. New set of sparks. Carbs are balanced, etc etc. It´s like a brand new engine. It´s like I have 20bhp more than when I left it in.

There is a hole in the exhaust just below the radiator. I´m sourcing a new set of downpipes ... probably from a scrapyard.

Seriously though, I can´t believe the difference in the engine.

Al.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.