Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sounds to me like you have a very mature attitude. There's no SPECIFIC skills you need to master in order to move up in my opinion except for SEAT TIME. Spend as MUCH TIME AS YOU CAN out riding the bike. There's no replacement for experience on the road. Ride the wheels off that thing until you can afford to make the move and then you'll be as prepared as you can be. The difference in power will be night and day between the two bikes, but riding conditions will be the same. Try and get some wet-weather riding in, and just plain hours in the saddle.

And besides a mature attitude, you also have very good taste! :D

"Keep yer feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked."

·
Registered
530 Posts
If 6500 - 6900 is the otd price for a bnew 03 6R, that's a #@%#%@ good deal! [:0] Just be really careful. BTW, don't use the 636 to take the safety course (the low speed drills won't be good for breaking in the engine, and you might also drop it) -- use their bike or the 250 instead.

Good luck to your dad! ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello 6R's..
First of all i'd like to suck up a little and say that this site is truly awesome especially with all the great information you guys provide.

Neways.. I'm 18 currently and started riding early this year on a Ninja 250. I love the bike and I am happy with my initial decision to begin on this size. However, I'm becoming very interested in the 03' ZX6R and have an opportunity to pick up a new one for about 6500-6900. I'm looking at being able to afford this bike by late July or early August but i wanted to know what type of skills I need to make sure I master on my 250 before attempting them on the 636. I haven't taken a safety course yet for the 250 but would definitely plan on it with the 636. I feel pretty confident in my riding right now but knowing that I've only ridden for a couple of months there are obviosly things that need to learn and I want to make sure i don't learn them the hard way on a more expensive.. and beautiful.. bike like the ZX6R. If I've annoyed any of you by overlooking this topic already discussed on the forum, please link me to the info.. if not I appreciate your help.

BTW.. i'm leaving tomorrow for France because my Dad is running in the 24hrs of LeMans and I won't be back until the 17th to check the replies. If you wanna watch we'll be on speedchannel.. car 95..wish us luck..
Thanks, Ryan

·
Registered
618 Posts
I started on the Ninja 250 last summer and in Dec 02 moved up to the 600. If you are comfortable with riding and comfortable with the notion of moving up, you have my support in doing so! Confidence is one of the most important things in riding, taking a backseat only to skill and experience. Good luck with your decision and good luck to your dad![8D]

"The best general wins without fighting" -Sun Tzu

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey everybody.. thanks for replying with the helpful info. I'm takin off in about an hour and thought I'd check it out. A quick addendum.. i've been reading about the break in procedure (not the Kawi procedure but the real procedure) and i'm getting the idea from others comments that I might not be able to break it in properly if I cannot handle pushing the bike through the powerbands and up to the higher rpm's. Am I looking at a possible problem here? Also.. after one of the rides and changin the oil and everything it says check valve clearanc.. how do i do that.. i'm sure this has been answered here but if anybody would like to link me to the info i'd appreciate reading it when i get back in the country.. thanks again.
Ryan
Spring Lake, MI

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Ryan 317,

On the 2003 bike, the valve clearance should be checked every 15,000 miles, starting at 15,000 miles. You can ignore that bit of the break-in guidelines.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think you should have no problem with the 636. i'm only 19 and i am on a 99 zx6. its the first bike i have owned. i luckily did take a course and the first bike i ever rode was a harley, heritage softail. a huge bike but i did fine on it and now my 600 seems to work perfect for me. i was amazed by the power in a bike half the size of the one i was riding but adjusted quickley. i think the only difference between us is that this is the 3rd summer i've been riding so i had the experience under my belt when i got mine. oh yeah, where do you live? if you live near me, [stupid michigan] i would say forget about getting the 03 zx6 because by august, its almost time to bring out the snowmobiles. wait for an 04! but if your in FLA, go for it! good luck man.

TV.....
'99 ZX6r
V+H Pipe
Kuryaken Underlights

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I started on the street with a CBR 929 when I was 18... But, I suppose everyone can't be so gifted.[8D]

LOL yeah right[:I]

You sound mature enough, and come across as someone who understands what they can and cannot do. You will be fine with the 636, bud.:)

·
Registered
107 Posts
The '03 636 is my first bike. I've ridden dirt bikes before but this is my first street bike, and I haven't had any problems at all. The trick is to take it slow and learn your limits. Be very timid in the first few months and don't go balls to the wall. And like DJ said, the more riding time, the more comfortable you'll be. Good Luck

·
Registered
192 Posts
Ditto. Be sure to know your limits; if you don't know what they are then take it slow. A buddy taught me how to ride and I haven't taken a course (full for the rest of the year), but I am getting comfortable. Ride as much as you can, ride safe, ride smart.

"Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but a manner of traveling." -Margaret Lee Runbeck
------------
Red 03 ZX6R

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.