Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i had adjusted the nuts on the clutch cable on the engine side (not the handle end) to get the sweet spot closer to the middle instead of farther out, when i got on it today the sweet spot was back out away from the bike & the handle was very stiff. did i adjust in the wrong place?

also my oil light comes on sometimes, usually at stops or get up & go - any idea what that might be because of? i just went with the 5w-40 synthetic turbo diesel oil (and a new filter) about a month ago - i measured out the amount & checked the window its right where it should be.

thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Adjust the clutch on the lever end in very small adjustments, it's to much through on the engine side for what u want.
As far as ur oil light coming on, the 50 weight is probably to heavy for the pickup on our 250's. Try going back to a 40W & see if it cures the problem. If it dosen't come on with the 40W, then u know the 50W is obviously to heavy. Post back on this as I'm curious.

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
Put the clutch adjustment back where it was on the engine and do as TwoFiddy said and adjust slack on the lever. You may also want to look into aftermarket adjustable levers so that you can get the "sweet spot" (aka friction zone) exactly where you want it and still maintain the right tension on the cable. Keeping the cable kinda loose to adjust your sweet spot isn't the best method, but it does work.

And put 10W-40 oil in your bike. What the deuce is turbo oil anyways? LOL. That just make me laugh. 10W-40 all the way, man and make sure your idle is set correctly. Should be somewhere around 1200 rpm, maybe higher. Too low could bring in the low oil pressure light.

·
Registered
42 Posts
All 250R Ninja's turn the oil light on when hard braking, it's a design problem from the engine because all oil go to the front of the engine cases and the pump pickup is in the back of it, leaving the top end of the engine temporarily out of oil press.
One more reason to always run with synth oil.
My oil pressure light comes on during heavy braking - Ninja250Wiki

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow, thanks so much guys.

sounds like i just need to spend more time adjusting the clutch cable & correctly tightening nuts. my buddy said a chain lube down the cable might help as well as a little WD-40 on the handle.

it does take a while for it to warm up it always wants to die when i put the Shell Rotella-T 5w40 it seemed to get a little better but that did last for long. think ill try & figure out how to adjust the idle as well. the oil light comes on & off mostly the first several miles, then lessens quite a bit after i have been riding it & never see it when in high gears (except when making sudden stops - which sounds like the design flaw of the pump that someone mentioned.) i think i will just have to try a different oil, i hope thats all that it is because id hate for it to be a mechanical problem like a busted pump or worse.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so the silicone lube worked great & i got the point of engagement adjusted just right. (but when i let go it doesn't seem to return all the way back, doesnt seem to be a problem. but i can push down on the hinge the cable connects to on the crankcase.)

the oil pressure was low because half a quart is gone. no sign of leaks... so i think it burned through it... i added more, but am worried bout the burning through oil...

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
It's probably not burning it, but simply from not adding enough oil after changing it last :p

This always happens after I change the oil. I will fill it to the proper level, run it, and then the next time I check it it's a pint low. Once you top it off the second time it should remain at the proper level.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts