Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 1983 Kawasaki 550 Spectre, Shaft drive, Single disc front and drum rear brakes, Air shocks front and rear, with 6300 miles.
Rear shocks have a 5 position dampening knurled knob on top of each shock currently set to number "2" position. Left side shock has air valve (schraeder valve) that feeds BOTH shocks in rear. When I moved that shocks dampening knob to the "1" position oil came out of the top (about 1/4 teaspoon) of that shock when moving between position "2" and position "1". Once in position "1" the oil stopped coming out. Moving through all 5 positions the top of shock becomes "wet". Overnite there was no leaking.
My questions:
1) Is the shock ruined?
2) Can they be rebuilt?
3) Are the air shocks preferable to the spring and damper style shocks?
4) What is the acceptable pressure range for the rear shocks?
5) Front shocks pressure range?
Appreciate any help here,
Thanks!
Bill

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So, 50 some views and no answers? I now know the proper air pressures for the shocks, but I had hoped that I might hear some thoughts from you kawi guys ...oh well.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
sorry man, not familiar with that model of kawi. I can tell you however that any oil coming out of the shocks is no good. I assume they can be rebuilt but you would probably be better to just look into a set of aftermarket shocks that would fit on your model. hope that helps!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
shocks

Thanks bboy! Have a a pair of KYB's that are also air shocks and off a KZ 550. will run those till I can rebuild originals.
Everyone else-this is pretty lame to not be able to get some advice on over 100 hits.
The other forums I belong to show much more love, must be a subaru thing!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shout out

lol that,s really funny - I own a Subaru STI ;P must be a coincidence hehe
Me, a '95 Impreza Coupe, 1.8 2WD 5 spd. soon to be sporting a 2.5 AWD 5 spd from a '99 Forester donor. Mines a Texas car with no rust and a crap paint job that I will do to my likeing when I get a round tuit. Fun to drive 2 WD, can hardly wait to push with all four and 60% more power!! Went from ucky beige interior to all charcoal with '98 RS seats front and rear (drivers is from WRX "Black and Blue") Plast-dipped the dash-came out nice!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Really! Nothin?

My questions:
1) Is the shock ruined?
2) Can they be rebuilt?
3) Are the air shocks preferable to the spring and damper style shocks?
4) What is the acceptable pressure range for the rear shocks?
5) Front shocks pressure range?
Appreciate any help here,
Thanks!
Bill
Hi,
Ok, so here is what I found out; 1-probably,yes, 2-No, they are welded shut, 3-?, 4- 11psi to 21psi, 5- 7psi to 11psi. Geez, thanks for all the quick replies. Does anyone on this site have even one or two fingers? Thats all it takes to respond, ya know?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts