Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How the hell do you re-mount the rear tire without knocking the stupid brake pads out of the caliper multiple times?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
i guess you haven't been around too long. haven't you heard that on the 250 the best thing to do is to just remove the rear break to save weight? it also frees up some room to make the install of the 7th gear mod a little easier.

edit: i'd just scotch tape the pads on till you get everything installed then remove tape

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm required by the rules to keep it on the bike, otherwise I would ditch it.

Tape sounds like a decent option...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bolts are behind the exhust and that makes them a pain to get to, and it's more stuff to disassemble/reassemble every time you pull the wheel.

It takes like 2 minutes to swap rear wheels on my SV. The Ninjette? Easily 15 minutes messing with that stupid brake pad that keeps falling out.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
I know that you said you don't wanna do it, but I agree w/Bluevitz. The best way to avoid the problem would be to remove the caliper. IDK, exactly how close it is to the muffler, but you may be able to ground down the short side of an allen key to easily fit in there.

I work for a charter a/c company, and we make a lot of "special" tools that way. I sware that some parts of these helicopters were engineered by people on acid...

Edit: Also, as suggested above, you may be able to tape the pads in. Although, IDK if you will be able to find a tape that will stick to the pads and then come off w/o leaving any glue on them...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There's got to be an easier way. It sucks to have to safety wire the caliper bolts every time. I guess i could just use fishing swivel clips.

Does anyone else think it's a crappy design the way that one pad is held in there on both calipers?

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
There's got to be an easier way. It sucks to have to safety wire the caliper bolts every time. I guess i could just use fishing swivel clips.

Does anyone else think it's a crappy design the way that one pad is held in there on both calipers?

I was gonna recommend pins after I read you first two sentences, until you said that (took the words right outta my mouth).

You are a racer right? It might be worth it for you to invest in a swage cable gun. It's a little gun that you use w/special cable to safety bolt heads, nuts, etc. Very easy, and very quick.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IYou are a racer right? It might be worth it for you to invest in a swage cable gun. It's a little gun that you use w/special cable to safety bolt heads, nuts, etc. Very easy, and very quick.
Racer is a very charitable description, I'm more of a mobile chicane on the track. :D

Swage cable gun? Looks more expensive than safety wiring.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Racer is a very charitable description, I'm more of a mobile chicane on the track. :D

Swage cable gun? Looks more expensive than safety wiring.
To be honest, I don't have a clue what they cost. My job buys the kits. Basically you gotta buy the tool and then you can just keep buying the cables for it (something like 100 cables to a bag). Here is a link to the kits that we use. As someone who has done his share of safety wiring, let me say that this is a much easier/quicker option when available...

http://www.dmctools.com/Catalog/tool_and_parts_kits.htm

1 - 10 of 10 Posts