When i did this, i took a two pices of lexan plastic, the clear shiny stuff that is often used to packaged things in stores, painted it black from the inside (this way it looks nice and shiny on the outside) and secured them inside the rear cowl by wedging them to the right spot, against the sub-frame rails, by using some stryphone. It worked real well. Then all you need is some nice bolts that are a little shorter than the existing ones, I used the ones holding the rear passenger peg brackets, to secure the back down.
i bought a fiberglass repair kit(the tail is not fiber glass, its abs plastic) and used the strip as a molding. i put two fiber glass strips on the inside and filled the hole with bondo. bondo is a body filler, so its best to sand, prime, and reapply another light coat.
That looks sweeeet. Can you spill a little more details? How did you deal with the rear mounts since they have a molded base for the handles? What did mean by "...used the strip as a molding.?" Have you had any problems with the bondo cracking? I've been wanting to do this, but need a little more encourgement... your pictures did it for me. Thanks!
i got a dremel tool and made a hole in the rear holes that have the mounting tabs. pretty much theres going to be a 1.5 inch hole. go to home depot and buy the fiber glass repair kit and theres going to be a bondo kit with the hardener in the same section. the fibergalss kit has instructions on how to use it as a reinforcement. put on a few layers of the fiber glass cloth, let if dry over night and the next day fill with bondo.
its important not to rush the drying process and use the bondo as recomended or it will crack. after the first thin layer of bondo sand down smooth and spray some primer in a can. let it dry for a hour and go with another layer of bondo. the fiberglass kit is also made by bondo's company. the tail is made out of abs plastic, just so you know.
i use eagle polishing wads to clean it, the mothers polish to finish it off. i had some crud also cooked on, but i removed it with some #0000 steel wool and mother polish then i went softly in one direction, so i wouldnt get any swirl marks.
I really like the way the tail section turned out. This was simpler than I thought. I filled, sanded and primed each hole and had an auto shop match the paint on the tail section. They did a great job! The only problem I've encountered is lifting the bike with the spool stand-without the handles it's sort of difficult until I get use of it. I just wanted to give a shout out to arturo3rd, if you’re out there listening...thanks.
A forum community dedicated to all Kawasaki motorcycles including the ZX-6R, KLR 650, Ninja 250, Ninja 250R, and Vulcan. Come join the discussion about performance, modifications, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more!