Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok boys..ive done my homework and wont ask what prelaod is....i just want to know where it is situated on the rear....is it on the spring?? at the top, bottom, and how do you adjust it... all i see is those 2 big rings around the spring, but where is the prelaod setting?

PICS anybody???

thanks

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
44,697 Posts
Sorry, no pics right now but I'll try to make sense of it. On the shock there is a lock ring and an adjusting ring, I believe (my memory sucks). There is a special tool, spanner wrench I believe, it's curved with a piece that fits into those notches on the rings to tighten/loosen them. My R1 tool kit had the tool in it so I tried it on my 6R but it didn't help much. I used it to loosen the lock ring (the one on top) and then I used a large flat-head screw driver and a hammer to adjust the preload by hammering the screw driver into the notches, turning the adjustment ring clock-wise, exposing more threads at the top i.e., increasing preload. Once you get the hang of it, it goes fairly well, just be careful if you do it this way. I Adjusted my preload from a about 2 threads showing to around 8, I believe. Then tighten the lock ring. Hope this helps some. I'm sure some more experienced guys will chime in but at least go look at it again and see if this makes sense. LOL

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks alot...just cant wait to get off work

·
28,939 Posts
Originally posted by prs
Sorry, no pics right now but I'll try to make sense of it. On the shock there is a lock ring and an adjusting ring, I believe (my memory sucks). There is a special tool, spanner wrench I believe, it's curved with a piece that fits into those notches on the rings to tighten/loosen them. My R1 tool kit had the tool in it so I tried it on my 6R but it didn't help much. I used it to loosen the lock ring (the one on top) and then I used a large flat-head screw driver and a hammer to adjust the preload by hammering the screw driver into the notches, turning the adjustment ring clock-wise, exposing more threads at the top i.e., increasing preload. Once you get the hang of it, it goes fairly well, just be careful if you do it this way. I Adjusted my preload from a about 2 threads showing to around 8, I believe. Then tighten the lock ring. Hope this helps some. I'm sure some more experienced guys will chime in but at least go look at it again and see if this makes sense. LOL

+1 to the above... thats how i adjusted mine as well...lol
hammer + screwdriver = adjusted preload

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
44,697 Posts
I forgot to mention, my rings were pretty snug so I sprayed some 3-in-1 and let it soak in for a few minutes and then they turned just fine.
I hate pounding stuff with a hammer when there is a proper tool to use but just be carful and it will be no problem once it starts going for ya.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Try channel-lock pliers. Open them up good and wide and you can get them to grab almost as good as the special spanner wrench. You get a lot more twisty per grab than banging on it with a hammer and screwdriver, and it's much easier on the shock.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Originally posted by hoser

+1 to the above... thats how i adjusted mine as well...lol
hammer + screwdriver = adjusted preload
Try brass punch vs steel screwdriver if you don't have the wrench, more forgiving

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.