Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have three bikes a kawi 250 a 2002 6r and a 1999 r1 for the 6r I want to do something kinda strange I love the look of the 6r but I want a rear seat cowl and I'm kinda strapped for cash for a couple months so I was wondering can I make a seat cowl I like the seat cowl on the TL1000 I think it would look cool on the 6r and give it a unique look. I was wondering if anyone has did such a thing can you give any advice.

Thanx

·
Registered
778 Posts
I am not that good with fiberglass and molding, but I am for sure this is no easy task.

First you'll have to make the mold (clay) and then turn that into fiberglass. Your have to come up with a way to mount the cowling, since the 6R seat design is good to hold the seat in place but sucks for attaching a cowl.

The aftermarket cowl come with a bracket you have to attach. (se the other cowl thread on this board.

If you come up with a process let me know, I'd be interested in having on made for my 250 as well =)

later =)

·
Registered
126 Posts
The best way i could think of is, make a negative copy of your orignal rear seat made from plaster, leave the rear seat in the plaster until it is dry, (coat it in vasoline)......then u need to do some fiberglass work. Fill the mould with fiberglass and resin in probably like 3 or four layers, however durable you want to make it, then once that is dry pull it out of the mould, fill all the bumps and crevaces with resin and sand it up smooth, paint it then your done, the mounting is the easy part, may have to mould in some from pins like the original seat and make a steel lock pin for the locking device. Im going to try it myself, ive thought about it alot just need the time!

off like a prom dress!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Better yet, use your stock rear seat or find another one in the process, that way you already have a perfect mounting setup.

Go green or go home...

·
Registered
431 Posts
I just put Kawasaki seat skins on my bike. The rear seat cover looks almost like a cowl...in fact my one buddy thought it was until he got close and really looked at it. Just a suggestion. both skins from Kawasaki were about $80 delivered.

Edited by - Unreel on 12/04/2002 22:10:54

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Use thick wire or brass rod to mock up what you want while positioned on the bike to the exact size. Cover that in fiber cloth, and use it to make a negative mold out of clay (then fire it) or plaster, or cover it in saran wrap and make a fiber mold. Making a casting with that mold would be child’s play. Seems like a lot of work, but you would have the mold for more and the results would be really nice. Targa sells theirs for like $130 if I remember correctly. You could actually pick up some nice change fairly easily.

-gary
'02 6R

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.