Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive had a fewbikes but one of my mods has never been new rearsets. Rode my buddies cbr1000rr with arata rear sets and was amazed of the positive action of his shifting. Getting back to shifting mine it felt toy-ish. Sure liked the feel of his. Will rearsets all give that more solid feel while shifting? Made it tighther and just shifted better. Any recommendations on rearsets for my 2011 zx6r? Pros cons?

Thanks,
Ride safe.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
The shifter on the 2009 - 2012 year models has never felt toyish to me, but I guess some of the aftermarket rearsets may be more beefy feeling.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Yeah I'm with strider. I have an 11 zx6 also and haven't felt any sluggishness from my shifter with the stock rear sets. I have however noticed when I wear my race boots sometimes I think I shift from second to third but really I'm still in second. Doesn't happen all the time, just when I'm putting around. But I think all that has to do with is getting used to the boots and not the shifter

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You guys know what I mean. The rear sets felt precise and solid snick into gear. Stock on mine. Not so much. He stated his stock was like mine. Not toyish, nothing like his shifter though. That's why I'm asking about new rear set action

·
Registered
684 Posts
So, I have an 09 zx6r, and I'm 5'5", so if I am going to have any chance at draggin' a knee, I need adjustable rearsets. but yes, the shift action is usually crisper and has a shorter throw than stock.

I have sato racing rearsets on the kawi, and I have vortex, on my cbr 1000rr (2011). LOVE the sato racing. double ball bearing, shorter throw and just really nice build quality.

the vortex, I like the pegs a lot. I had to add shims to the rearset, shift side b/c the rod was rubbing against the frame. I added the sato racing shift spindle holder which gives the shift a stiffer feel.

I will say, I have a hard time finding neutral, b/c the throw is so short b/t 1-2, so I never shift to N when coming to a stop, I wait till I'm stopped, foot down (stop light for example), then I shift into N.

It's one of the first mods I do to a bike. SS brake lines, better levers, rearsets, full exhaust or a slip on, and fender eliminator. basics for me.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have Woodcraft and have always liked their rearsets - but I don't notice any difference in the shifting quality. Their rearsets for our bikes are anodized black and have two adjustments for the throw distance when shifting. I actually thought the stock setup felt great, but I just wanted rigid pegs for crash support.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
So, I have an 09 zx6r, and I'm 5'5", so if I am going to have any chance at draggin' a knee, I need adjustable rearsets. but yes, the shift action is usually crisper and has a shorter throw than stock.

I have sato racing rearsets on the kawi, and I have vortex, on my cbr 1000rr (2011). LOVE the sato racing. double ball bearing, shorter throw and just really nice build quality.

the vortex, I like the pegs a lot. I had to add shims to the rearset, shift side b/c the rod was rubbing against the frame. I added the sato racing shift spindle holder which gives the shift a stiffer feel.

I will say, I have a hard time finding neutral, b/c the throw is so short b/t 1-2, so I never shift to N when coming to a stop, I wait till I'm stopped, foot down (stop light for example), then I shift into N.

It's one of the first mods I do to a bike. SS brake lines, better levers, rearsets, full exhaust or a slip on, and fender eliminator. basics for me.
What does height have to do with it?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Leave it alone man...just an excuse...what she prob means is because her body position is bad that she needs to lower her leg to touch the ground...

I personally have mine the highest position possible to the seat...more comfy for me and allows me more lean angle since the leg is higher off the ground.

Hurry up and get to Thunder! Chad and I have decided to delay it until oct...it's a prominently left turn track so you should be fine lol. Chad and I are gonna run A group this time so I hope you got in a lot of practice at edmonton!

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
I don't really understand this either when she has mentioned needing rearsets to drag her knee. I'm 5'6" and have been knee down on an XR650, an FZ1, a YSR50, an EX500, and everything in between.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
What date are you going to down at T-Hill? I am thinking I will be there on the 27th or 28th of October.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
exactly the opposite will happen OP
your aftermarket stuff will line up like shit unless you have a machine shop in your garage...

rearsets are just hunks of metal holding stuff where it should be, typically people want to move the position of their feet, this throws a wrench in kawasaki's engineering as far as rear brake line & shift rod length.

i was under the impression that i could have 10 different setting where my feet could go, i had 1 setting to make the shit all work correctly...

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
exactly the opposite will happen OP
your aftermarket stuff will line up like shit unless you have a machine shop in your garage...

rearsets are just hunks of metal holding stuff where it should be, typically people want to move the position of their feet, this throws a wrench in kawasaki's engineering as far as rear brake line & shift rod length.

i was under the impression that i could have 10 different setting where my feet could go, i had 1 setting to make the shit all work correctly...
Or if you know what you're doing... you can make it work.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
if you have some extra paychecks laying around to custom fit helm joints and brake lines... for your $400 rearsets...
Or the patience and simple hand tools to simply fit them correctly the first time. It's not difficult, and while it may take two different length rods to use all available positions the swap is too easy to bother explaining.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Or the patience and simple hand tools to simply fit them correctly the first time. It's not difficult, and while it may take two different length rods to use all available positions the swap is too easy to bother explaining.
don't mention that Kawi presses their OEM helm joints- making them pretty much useless for the aftermarket applications.

i just wanted to share my story of buying "highly adjustable" rearsets that happen to fit only one particular way after i replaced a shift rod and rear brake line...

oh don't get me started on thread pitch or reverse threading

·
Registered
3,690 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
It's inseam not just height.28 inseam for me. I find OEM pegs low for me, personally. so if I raise the pegs, and forward, it's easier for me to anchor my outside leg higher up on the tank, where the tank grip would be vs. lower on the tank (below the tank grip).

ya'll are cranky today.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ive had a fewbikes but one of my mods has never been new rearsets. Rode my buddies cbr1000rr with arata rear sets and was amazed of the positive action of his shifting. Getting back to shifting mine it felt toy-ish. Sure liked the feel of his. Will rearsets all give that more solid feel while shifting? Made it tighther and just shifted better. Any recommendations on rearsets for my 2011 zx6r? Pros cons?

Thanks,
Ride safe.
I have an 09 zx6r and I put attack performance rearsets on after someone hit me and ran (Which broke my rearset, but thankfully not me). The guys at attack we super cool, they make everything by hand here in California, and they even slid me a little deal after hearing why I needed new rear sets in the first place.

I agree that they shift slightly better (more positively), but it isn't a HUGE difference. What is huge is how solid they feel under your foot. If you decide to go the attack performance route, be aware that you will need a banjo bolt pressure sensor (if you want your brake light to work still), and either a way to re-locate your rear brake reservoir (i just safety wired it in place), or a longer tube to connect the master cylinder to the reservoir if you want to leave it in the stock mounting position.

I LOVE my attack rearsets and they come with a new shift rod, heim joints, etc, so there isnt any emergency trips to the hardware store before you can install them.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I have an 09 zx6r and I put attack performance rearsets on after someone hit me and ran (Which broke my rearset, but thankfully not me). The guys at attack we super cool, they make everything by hand here in California, and they even slid me a little deal after hearing why I needed new rear sets in the first place.

I agree that they shift slightly better (more positively), but it isn't a HUGE difference. What is huge is how solid they feel under your foot. If you decide to go the attack performance route, be aware that you will need a banjo bolt pressure sensor (if you want your brake light to work still), and either a way to re-locate your rear brake reservoir (i just safety wired it in place), or a longer tube to connect the master cylinder to the reservoir if you want to leave it in the stock mounting position.

I LOVE my attack rearsets and they come with a new shift rod, heim joints, etc, so there isnt any emergency trips to the hardware store before you can install them.
Agreed, the Attacks are a nice way to go. We use those on most of our race bikes. Vortex is another option as well OP, shoot me a PM if interested in picking any up. We carry the PCV as well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts