Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I weigh 160lbs I figured that I would move the rear shock on my '08 250R from the default setting (1st notch) to the 2nd. Trouble is that even when using the adjustment tool the freakin' thing won't budge. Any trick to moving it? Does the bike need to be on a stand to take the load of the shock?

Also, maybe it's just the low end shock but, especially going 60mph or so, when I hit bumps the rear end really kicks back fast and hard. I am in the habit of lifting my weight before hitting one but the constant pounding is starting to hurt my back. I suppose the quick rebound is the issue so I doubt moving up a notch of preload will accomplish much.

Tim

·
Registered
586 Posts
u need to turn it clockwise, thats what worked for me, just look at the noches and come from the rear left side of the bike and it should move without any fancy crap, mine was on it stand, took alil but it moved. im not even sure what the manual says to do but u should be able to figure it out

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
u need to turn it clockwise, thats what worked for me, just look at the noches and come from the rear left side of the bike and it should move without any fancy crap, mine was on it stand, took alil but it moved. im not even sure what the manual says to do but u should be able to figure it out
Thanks, but as it is in the lowest position it can only move one direction. I can clearly see the next notch in succession but the thing won't move. The main problem, most likely, is there is not much room to hold the wrench back there. Perhaps one of the wrench extension handles that come in the tool kit will give me more leverage.

Tim

·
Registered
114 Posts
You may have to use quite a bit of force to get it to click onto the next notch. I adjusted mine to the 3rd notch and it does not move easily. Putting a metal "tube" of some sort around the end of the adjument will give you better leverage to adjust it. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I had no problem at all. It took about 5 seconds. Make sure you are coming in on the correct side and make sure the wrench it in the correct position.

I have to add I am the strongest guy on this entire forum, best looking also, however; I'm very modest so don't tell anyone.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Trouble is that even when using the adjustment tool the freakin' thing won't budge. Any trick to moving it? Does the bike need to be on a stand to take the load of the shock?

Also, maybe it's just the low end shock but, especially going 60mph or so, when I hit bumps the rear end really kicks back fast and hard. I am in the habit of lifting my weight before hitting one but the constant pounding is starting to hurt my back. I suppose the quick rebound is the issue so I doubt moving up a notch of preload will accomplish much.

Tim
Try again... It should move quite easily from the 1st to second position if you are turning it in the correct direction. do you have the wrench in the same position as shown in your owners manual on pg.123?

For the bumpiness, what are your tire pressures?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Try again... It should move quite easily from the 1st to second position if you are turning it in the correct direction. do you have the wrench in the same position as shown in your owners manual on pg.123?

For the bumpiness, what are your tire pressures?
The wrench is in the right spot. It's not too complicated a system. As for tire pressure, I run about 30 psi rear and 28 front. I'm sure going a tad lower could help but it's really the hard and quick kick from the rebounding shock that hurts.

Tim

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
The wrench is in the right spot. It's not too complicated a system. As for tire pressure, I run about 30 psi rear and 28 front. I'm sure going a tad lower could help but it's really the hard and quick kick from the rebounding shock that hurts.

Tim
try spraying the shock body where the collar slides on the shock with some lubricant (wd-40) and try again. I did mine with the bike sitting on the sidestand.

works performance does make a replacement shock for the bike. :)

·
Registered
475 Posts
Hey, Kellllyyyyyyyyy...... Aloha buddy :)

I am talking to Works right now about making a 3 way adjustable shock for our bikes. I'm hoping to have one on mine for the next race. Hopefully will be a huge improvement!

·
Registered
174 Posts
As I weigh 160lbs I figured that I would move the rear shock on my '08 250R from the default setting (1st notch) to the 2nd. Trouble is that even when using the adjustment tool the freakin' thing won't budge. Any trick to moving it? Does the bike need to be on a stand to take the load of the shock?

Tim
Maybe I'm missing something here but if you are trying to correct harsh repsonse on bumps, increasing the preload will only make it more harsh. Am I wrong? Of course if the shock is bottoming out then more preload makes sense. I'm 180 lbs and so far the default preload setting #1 is working for me, even in the twisties.
Bill N.

·
Registered
40 Posts

Tim
It is a little tight getting that wrench in there and at a suitable angle so that it doesn't slip. It's not difficult to turn, just difficult to get a hold of. I had the best luck using the wrench without the extension on it. Like Kelly, I did it with the bike on its kickstand.

I weight 160lbs with gear and before this adjustment, it felt as if my rear tire was spongy & somewhat loose, especially on corners. After I bumped the preload up to 2, it felt a whole lot better. I'm new to to this, so maybe it's all in my head though and the preload had nothing to do with it. *shrug*

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe I'm missing something here but if you are trying to correct harsh repsonse on bumps, increasing the preload will only make it more harsh. Am I wrong? Of course if the shock is bottoming out then more preload makes sense. I'm 180 lbs and so far the default preload setting #1 is working for me, even in the twisties.
Bill N.
I expect the "kick" to be the same or worse under setting #2 as preload should have nothing to do with how fast the shock returns to position. I should have broken the two comments apart to avoid confusion. I was considering changing the setting for my weight but also bemoaning the harshness of the shock.

I already dug out a can of WD40 and am planning to see if that loosens up the ring.

I guess at some point an aftermarket shock with actual adjustments will come along.

Tim

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I hope you folks are adjusting your preload because you need to and not just because you can. Unless you're regularly carrying a passenger there shouldn't be much need to adjust it beyond the first or second setting. As kkim said earlier, if your bike is feeling too soft in the corners the first thing to check is that you have the correct tire pressure. Setting the preload too high could induce headshake or even a tank slapper in some cases.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Sorry to bring back an old thread but some great advise in here re: preload.

The extension pipe on the tool is key for smooth and easy turning of the collar. Almost impossible without it for me.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Mine was extremely hard to turn from position 1 to 2, but not from 2 to 3. I think that 1st click is the hardest generally, and it would help if the suspension wasn't under load if someone had a centerstand.

Maybe it was so hard for me at first because it was in the 1st position until I tried changing it at 7,000km's. Maybe it kinda dung itself into place over those km's.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.