Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is the rear shock for the '05 636 the same as the one for the '03-'04?
sorry if this is a dumb question...just trying to see before I change over the stock shock on my SV.
Thanks.

·
Registered
504 Posts
No - the 03/04 vs. 05 shocks are not directly interchangable. They may mount up physically but there are differences, use at your own risk. If you look up the specs through the Ohlins or Race Tech site, you will see that the 03/04 calls for a base shock length of 340mm eye-to-eye, the 05 unit has a base length of 335.5mm - and 4.5mm of shock length when mounted can make quite a difference. The stroke length for the 03/04 is 72mm while the 05 unit is 64.5mm.

I would either get the stock unit revalved for what you want or get an aftermarket unit such as Ohlins, Penske, Elka, or Fox. The suspension engineers usually put in quite a bit of number crunching to arrive at the proper length and stroke numbers to get the desired swingarm position, travel, and spring rate change - this all leads to the anti-squat characteristics under accelleration, stability under braking, turn in, straightline stability, etc. Like tools, it pays to have the correct part for the application. Just so you know, 03/04 stuff can be swapped easier with each other but the spring and damping rates have been altered a bit. Even so - they were engineered to fit because the parts they mount up to (frame & swingarm) were unchanged. Not so with the 05 as even the Ohlins part numbers for the 6R (636) and 6RR (600) are different. The differences (though slight) are the overall length, stroke, and damping rate change - in short everything was changed (and we thought it was just because of the hi/low speed comp. damping). The reason I know this little tidbit of info was that last year I spent some time on the phone trying to track down a shock for my 05 6R, vendors were saying to just get the unit for the 6RR but that all changed once I got to talking with a shock engineer at Ohlins and went over some of the specs.

I know that your application is different so do the research and get the proper unit. BTW - My brother rides an SV650 that has Race Tech forks and Ohlins rear. The thing is one of the funnest things I've riden both on and off the track - it's not the fastest but defintly one of the funnest. [:M88]

Good Luck,
Q

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Q-Ball
Thanks for the write up...the info helped a lot.
Thanks again for taking the time!

Shiney side up,
Brian

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Good write up and absolutely correct.

Analyze what would change, HOW it would change and WHY you want it to change before you do serious geometry changes like that

People have a tendency to just go fiddling with stuff because they think they should.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.