Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ehhhhh has anyone else ate through a vortex 45 tooth sprocket in 2k miles?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yep and yep, got an inch and a 1/2 of play and i have had 3 new tires in that 2k miles also...... damn nails! its not gone yet but its starting to groove

·
Registered
295 Posts
i got like 4k plus pretty hard riding, and it looks brand new still. But I clean and lube mine after every hard ride, and once a week when commuting. It gets me out of the house and in my garage so I don't complain

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

i live on a dirt road.... could that be it?? my front sprocket still looks new

·
Registered
28,591 Posts
yes that will affect wear. but you got a ways to go on that sprocket yet. just make sure the chain is properly adjusted, wheel is properly aligned, and the chain is lubed and it will last longer.

1 1/2" of play is a bit excessive, by the way. it should be .8-1.2" complete movement. meaning down and up. 1.5" of play just up would be around 2" of complete travel.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks scotland, and that's what the dealer has my chain at, i just literally got a new tire 4 days ago, guess ill tighten it up

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
yes that will affect wear. but you got a ways to go on that sprocket yet. just make sure the chain is properly adjusted, wheel is properly aligned, and the chain is lubed and it will last longer.

1 1/2" of play is a bit excessive, by the way. it should be .8-1.2" complete movement. meaning down and up. 1.5" of play just up would be around 2" of complete travel.
The Service Manual calls for:

Chain Slack Standard: 30 ∼ 35 mm (1.2 ∼ 1.4 in.)

:)

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
From the Service Manual:

Drive Chain Slack Inspection

NOTE:
○Check the slack with the motorcycle setting on its side stand.
○Clean the chain if it is dirty, and lubricate it if it appears dry.
•Check the wheel alignment (seeWheel Alignment Inspection in this chapter).
•Rotate the rear wheel to find the position where the chain is tightest.
•Measure the vertical movement (chain slack) [A] midway between the sprockets.

If the chain slack exceeds the standard, adjust it.

·
Registered
28,591 Posts
The Service Manual calls for:

:)
must have been the last gsx-r i worked on then still fresh in my mind. which is 25-30mm. either way most people do not realize that it is total movement, up and down, of the chain. not just up. when they adjust it they push the chain up 1.5" and call it good. 1.5" in one direction ends up being more than what it should be when you take into account the other .5" the chain moves down as well.

oh, and 1.5" is still more slack than the book calls for... a tenth of an inch only, i know, but when the range is only 2 tenths that's still a bit too loose.

BTW, can we start using the edit button or something, cause it's totally your friend.

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
Yep must push and pull chain to get total chain slack.

Yes 1.5" is more that the allowable chain slack per Service Manual I agree that is obvious.

I was only posting the correct values per the Service Manual.

Chiil out dude :D

·
Registered
467 Posts
+1 to scotland, i was just gonna say you have too much play. i have a renthal front and rear, rear is aluminum. its lovely. havent had issues yet, but always make sure to lube/tension the chain properly. i oil my chain a little obsessively .. on average 2 times a week.

·
Registered
467 Posts
also, stealth sprox. they are aluminum inside with steel teeth. best of BOTH worlds. the amount of weight saved is almost negligible as well, unless you race or something.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts