Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my 99 ZX9r is missing a few teeth and is jumping them occassionaly, i dont know how to tell if i have a stock or upgraded rear sprocket. It looks like it has a renthal sticker on it, but i dont know if its stock, upgraded or what...any ideas, thanks.

·
Registered
507 Posts
if your breaking teeth - its most likely an aluminum sprocket-- if your happy with your accelleration, just count the teeth and replace it... with a steel sprocket(doesnt matter what brand). If the chain is jumping off the sprocket- I wouldnt ride it until its replaced - your really asking for trouble..... .02 worth

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if i got a different size sprocket, i would have to put a different chain and front sprocket on too wouldnt i?

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Originally posted by jimzx9r
If you're busting teeth off the sprocket, your chain is probably trashed already anyway.
Ditto start off fresh with a complete front rear and new chain combo.

·
Registered
92 Posts
As long as you use the same pitch you will have no trouble. I believe the 99 uses a 530 chain. Also make sure your chain has'nt stretched to much.A chain life will vary, depends on maintenance,lubrication,etc.The sweet spot imho is a 15f/42r combo.I'm running a 15/43 set up,which is awsome but you do lose a little to much top end speed. About 160mph and your done while hitting redline.

·
Registered
507 Posts
chains usually come in 520 or 530-- I agree-->'m pretty sure a 99 came with a 530-- just make sure the front/rear sprocket and chain are the same pitch and you should be good. sprocket tooth number doesnt matter- you'll just have to re adjust your chain tension to fit the smaller/larger sprocket

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.