Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In short...

Crashed at the track, swingarm spool slider caught on something and ripped the mounting boss off screwing my swingarm.

Anyone know where I can get a set of sliders for the swingarm that go thru the axle?

Also, has anyone had experience having their swingarm repaired (tig weld?) after this kind of damage.

I originally posted in 'racer's corner' but tought I might get some good feed back here to.

here's post with pics:

http://www.kawiforums.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=66719

Thanks!

Frank

·
Registered
550 Posts
That's really not too hard of a weld. I could do it, as could any vaguely experienced welder. It would be hard to get around the inner edges, and may take some cutting and building back up to do, but it's possible.

The problem is going to be finding someone that is willing to do it. I wouldn't do it for anyone but myself, and I'll bet a lot of professional welders will feel the same way. There's way too much risk of weakening that swingarm and causing a catastrophic failure, which would have the potential to kill you. No way in hell I would touch it and open myself up to that kind of liability - even if the owner signed a waiver clearing me of all financial responsibility, I just couldn't live with the guilt of over-heating that swingarm and causing you to lose structural integrity and die on the track.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I'm going to check a local shop and see what they say. If I can't get it welded I'm just going to ride the reaming track days (only a few more for me this year anyway)...and look into a new/used swingarm over the off season.

The other questions is......where can I find some 'spindle sliders' to be used instead of the spools? (which I will always remove for the track now)

R&G Racing offers them....but not for Kawi :(

http://www.rg-racing.com/images/products/large/img321.jpg

·
Registered
297 Posts
Powers bike worx makes some. I ordered their race rails and they were going to give some deal on the axle sliders, but I don't track race so I didn't choose to get them. Seem like a good setup though.

Does anyone know why I can't put a link to the webpage to these? Always says "removed."

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
that sucks! i receintly installed a set in my swing arm too. now you have me worried, very worried. how common would you say this really is?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Yes it appears to be a common problem. Kawi just didnt reinforce the area enough. A company should use an aluminum bolt or hollowed out steel bolt that is designed just a little bit weaker than the mounting boss. That way the bot would bend or break before the mount breaks off.

·
Registered
763 Posts
same thing happend to me, still havent fixed it. :(

ive actually debating picking up another swingarm off ebay and having it put on. I wasnt able to find the broken piece to have it welded back on.

i recommend anyone with spools take them off and only use them when they need to put their bike on stands

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.