Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one know what size that castle bolt is on the rear axel is? I'm trying to get mine off. It says online that it's 24mm but it's bigger than the 24mm socket that I have. Also correct me if I'm wrong the front is 17mm allan wrench correct? Any one who can shed some light on this for me I would appriciate it.

·
Registered
778 Posts
You should be able to use the KAWA tools that came with your bike. At least I was able to.

The rear I used the tool that fits on the castle nut and losened it, if you have the tool set you'll know what I mean.

For the FRONT I used the Kawa tool that looks like 10mm socket on one side and 16mm on the the other (one side is larger than the other)

INSERT it into the LEFT SIDE of the fork like a big allen key (make sure you losen the squeeze bolts on the left side fork, do not losen the right side make sure they are tight)

To remove the front axel the tire needs to be off the ground.

hope this helps
/pics/misc/tools.gif
Dave

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Dave. I realized it at like 11:30 last night after brain storming all night who I was going to get the socket from. I was watching tv and all of a sudden I said oh s**t I forgot about the tool kit in the trunk. Thanks again everyone for the help. Now I gotta find a way to get the front wheel off the ground without a front stand.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I just did my first rear tire change, was pretty easy. I used a hammer wrapped in a towel (to prevent scratching/gashing anything) on the Kawasaki wrench. It was a bitch to get off, might be time for me to invest in a torque wrench. Is there any hazard in NOT using one?

This was flat #4 since I bought the bike in December of 2003. Bought the 11.99$ cyclegear protection plan so if it happens again I only pay 15$ for the mount and balance.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Originally posted by jdm
It was a bitch to get off, might be time for me to invest in a torque wrench.
If you use a torque wrench to remove the nut, it can become inaccurate. Use the wrench only to tighten the nut.

To remove the nut, use a cheater bar and a socket.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I'd advise against using the torque wrench to remove parts as well. For example, I had to take a 12" socket wrench and stand on the end of it (I'm 6'1" and 205lbs) just to loosen the axle nut! No way in hell it would be torqued back to anywhere near 120lbs+! Same goes for the oil drain plug... it takes a hell of a lot of force to get it off when it comes from the factory, but we all know that on most bikes the torque on it should be about 20lbs +/-.

Anyhow, if you decide to get the front wheel propped up without a stand I sure hope you make it stable as hell. Otherwise, stands are cheap www.parts411.com

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.