Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My zx6e has a 160 rear tire and I know increasing the size to a 170 or 180 on a zx6e rim will downgrade the handling on the bike. However, could I get a zx6r rim (that holds a 180 tire) and put it on the zx6e? Will this downgrade the handling? I just don't like the look of a 160 rear tire. Too skinny, I need something a bit fatter out back.

Thanks,
Ed

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
dont know about putting a bigger rim will help. you might have clearance problems with the rear brake caliper and rubbing on the swingarm. maybe a aftermarket swingarm will be best.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
The '95-'97 ZX-6R came stock with a 160/60 on the back. I think the '98-99 had a 170 and the '00-up have the 180/55. They increased the rim width from 5" to 5 1/2" in '98.

Anyway some moron had a 180/55 on the back of my '95 ZX-6R and it didn't rub anything. It will probably fit on yours without rubing, too. Since looks seems to be more important that handling, I say go for it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm just a bit curious... what "handling" is affected? The bike won't lean as well? Not being saractisc or anything, I just want to be educated a bit. If the bike still leans and feels ok with a 180 I'm ok with that. I'm not a knee dragger, racer, or stunter... Just curious and want to learn more technical aspects of bikes.

Thanks
Ed

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Tires are designed to fit on a certain size rim. When you put them on a rim they were designed for the profile if the tire is what the guy that designed them was shooting for. When you put them on a narrower rim the tire is squeezed in at the bead and it makes the profile more rounded.

The 180/55 is taller which will raise the back of the bike. This will probably make the bike handle a little better.

The 180/55 is also quite a bit heavier.

I doubt you will notice any difference in handling with the 180/55. If you start coming close to what the bike is capable of doing you might.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Originally posted by swjohnsey

The '95-'97 ZX-6R came stock with a 160/60 on the back. I think the '98-99 had a 170 and the '00-up have the 180/55. They increased the rim width from 5" to 5 1/2" in '98.

Anyway some moron had a 180/55 on the back of my '95 ZX-6R and it didn't rub anything. It will probably fit on yours without rubing, too. Since looks seems to be more important that handling, I say go for it.

He doesn't have a ZX6R he has a ZX6E I don't think they have changed the tire size at all from the early 90's

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I had a 94 ZX6E mine came with a 160 and I put a 170 on there with no problem. It never rit or rubbed anything. And the handling of the bike was great with those tires on. I know for a fact you can't go with a 180 though.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tommy> damn, I was looking at getting a zx6r rim for a 98-02 and slapping a 180 on there and trying it out. I'm assuming with your comment, it will rub on the swing arm? Did you put a 170 on a zx6e rim? curious...

Thanks,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.