Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. New to sport bikes. Had my 03 zx6r for about 2 weeks now. I've put about 150miles on it. So still very new. But anyway back to my point.
I'm going to need tires by the end of the season. I know Michelin pilot powers are popular. But I've heard bad things about their life expectancy. There are some kind of Dunlop's on It now. The guy I bough it from said they are harder in the middle for straight line cruising and soft on the edges for cornering.
I'd like something like that again in theory.
But I'm not too sure either.

HELP! Haha
Price is somewhat of an issue.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Love the pilot roads and regular pilot 2cts

Sent from my PC36100 using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
51 Posts
Bridgestone BT023 are good tires I have them on my 09 ZX6r

Sent from my Desire HD using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
If you're doing mostly commuting, I've had good luck with a pilot power 2ct front and a pilot road 2 rear.
-Cody

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright. Thanks guys. How do the prices in these tires differ. I don't wanna go cheap cheap. But I'm also not excited about emptying my bank account. Haha.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the original Michelin Pilot Power tires and I have put about 3k on the and they still have quite a bit life to them They actually look like they were just broke in. SO for I guess they have a great cost/efficency ratio.
Tires are the most important thing when it comes to your saftey (exluding gear) so they are the last place you want to go cheap. I would simply start saving like $50 a month to put for tires. I cant stress enough they are the last place to be budgeting at. Theres only 2 of them and they are keeping you up and rolling through corners.
Rubber to the road. Be safe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also have a stock 03 636 and was wondering what different tire sizes I can use without changing the swing arm? I will probably keep the same tire size in the front.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I also run 2CT's. Get 6-9k depending on ratio of freeway to fun miles. And great solid feel mid corner while being easy to adjust your line committed mid-turn. But the Dunlop Q3's are CHEAP right now on motomummy. $220 and $260 shipped for 120-180 and 120-190 sets.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I also have a stock 03 636 and was wondering what different tire sizes I can use without changing the swing arm? I will probably keep the same tire size in the front.
Your issue is with the rear wheel, not swing arm. What size tire are you looking at? Shops will tell you the 190 isn't safe to run on your rear wheel. I've run wider tires on older bikes (130 on a rim designed for 120) but that's a much taller sidewall which helps.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just bought a set of Q3 from 4 Wheel Online, got a 25% discount when they were on sale. I'm really speechless on how it perform you can slice the corners smoothly. I read the the new Q3 uses carbon fiber material so that means it will surely be light and durable. Another brand that I could suggest is Shinko. This tire is really bang for the bucks and will not wore as fast as other road tire brands.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I have loved the Q2's, and now I like the Q3's even more. I was getting around 10,000 miles per set out of the Q2's, and I expect similar mileage out of the Q3's.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts