Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well I had the bike ripped apart since the fall so I could do some things and get the rims powder coated. So now I got new tires and when I get to linning up the rear I hit a snag. Here is the deal well you know how you have all the lines in certain lengths from the swingarm back. Yet it says to you have to line those lines up on both sides and also have the bolts the same length out. Well here is my deal I cranked the bolts and nuts all the way in because I needed to set the chain. So then say I am out ten turns on each side. Well the left side will be at the 2 1/2 mark and the right side will be at 3 , yet they are both out the same amount of bolt turns. So then I was like ok well I will line up each with the 3rd line back and then do the turns in and with each 3 lines back the right for example was lets say 10 turns to hit the end and the left was 13. I didint have a problem before I took the wheel off, however I had not noticed if the little nitches were lined up or not. Some one please help :(

·
Registered
130 Posts
thebottle,
Pay no attention to the number of turns out. The line-up marks are a much better indication. I almost hate to say this, but at some point you should check the accuracy of the marks, just to be sure. They are usually accurate enough, but not always. On top of that, even if the marks are 'dead on' it's difficult to judge accurately, especially when you're somewhere in between the marks. The 'true' alignment can be checked with a long straight edge held up against the rear tire. Do this on both sides and measure the gap at the front tire or rotors. This is extremely accurate, but within 1/8" or 3 mm is probably close enough. After you have successfully done this, take note where the little marks fall. Any additional adjustment can be accomplished by turning the adjusters an equal amount on both sides. I usually turn them by the number of 'flats', turning each side one 'flat' at a time.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
O.K. I've had so much of this Flo-Commander B.S. my brain is numb . . . anyway. Let's begin by saying that the marks on the swing arm are notoriously inaccurate.

To align the rear wheel using the marks move the axle to the next mark forward of where you think the axle will end up. Tighten up the axle bolt a little to take out all the slack. Then using the adjusting bolt align the axle on that mark. I use a magnifying glass to get it as close as I can. You want to take up all the slack so start a little forward of the mark. Once you are satisified that you have it exactly aligned on both sides on the mark start turning each side the same amount. Be careful because when you get close the slack starts coming out quickly.

You can measure the slack with a piece of stiff cardboard say 3"x6" that has a straight edge. Put the edge against the swing arm half-way between the axle and the swing arm piviot. Push the chain up and mark the location of the top of the chain. The push down on the chain and mark the top of the chain. The slack should be about 35-40mm, about 1 1/2". Turn the wheel occassionally to make sure there are not tight spots. When you get it where you want it tighten down the lock nuts and torque the axle nut.

Holler at me later and I will tell you how to make a spiffy $5 wheel alignment tool that you can use to check you factory marks and to get it exactly right.

·
Registered
130 Posts
swjohnsey,
For once I think we agree completely, your brain is pretty numb. Actually I can't really fault what you're saying here. What's funny is that you somehow believe you're responding brilliantly to the man's question while in actuality were saying exactly the same thing. I gave a rather brief explanation believing that 'thebottle' is fully capable of understanding the key points. Again, cool off, you're making a fool of yourself.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Errr. :D

Come on guys. You're both saying the same thing, in essence. Why are ya bad mouthing each other?! (I mean in this post)

You both obviously have experience working on bikes. Just because there's a disagreement doesn't mean ya gotta get personal.

Hell, some of fav bike drinking buds ride Hondas, Triumphs, and Zooks. JUst because they're WRONG doesn't mean that they're without their good points. ;)

'00 ZX6R silver

·
Registered
130 Posts
Cambridgezx6r,
You're absolutely correct. In fact I also stated that we're saying pretty much the same thing here. I'm getting a little frustrated at the obvious attempt to attack, where possible. Apparently he's suffered a little loss of face, and I certainly apologize if I contributed to this. This all got started over the Flo-Commander posts (jet Kits) and he's now having a field day apparently trying to get even. I can take it, as I've experienced this before. The unfortunate thing here is that he's not giving accurate advice or doesn't even seem to care whether he's misleading others or not, and that is inexcusable. People are not asking technical questions for the fun of it. We owe everyone the best and most honest answers we can give. Personalities have no place in any of this.

·
Registered
130 Posts
swjohnsey,
It must by past your bed time. We're discusing the adjustment of the rear wheel here. What are you asking Cambridge to buy, a swingarm?

·
Registered
501 Posts
I have to admit this is entertaining as all hell. You guys arguing is the funniest shit since that damn "are we going to war" post LMAO:D:D:D:D

Let Saddam come and play!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.