Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
O.K. I've had so much of this Flo-Commander B.S. my brain is numb . . . anyway. Let's begin by saying that the marks on the swing arm are notoriously inaccurate.

To align the rear wheel using the marks move the axle to the next mark forward of where you think the axle will end up. Tighten up the axle bolt a little to take out all the slack. Then using the adjusting bolt align the axle on that mark. I use a magnifying glass to get it as close as I can. You want to take up all the slack so start a little forward of the mark. Once you are satisified that you have it exactly aligned on both sides on the mark start turning each side the same amount. Be careful because when you get close the slack starts coming out quickly.

You can measure the slack with a piece of stiff cardboard say 3"x6" that has a straight edge. Put the edge against the swing arm half-way between the axle and the swing arm piviot. Push the chain up and mark the location of the top of the chain. The push down on the chain and mark the top of the chain. The slack should be about 35-40mm, about 1 1/2". Turn the wheel occassionally to make sure there are not tight spots. When you get it where you want it tighten down the lock nuts and torque the axle nut.

Holler at me later and I will tell you how to make a spiffy $5 wheel alignment tool that you can use to check you factory marks and to get it exactly right.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.