Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got a 06 er6n and noticed that the wheel bolt looks weird.
I forgot to take a few pics before i left the garage.

A few days ago I noticed that a weird noise that I had a hard time locating, but today I did. It is the brake caliper bracket rubbing against the rotor.
I checked the torque on the axle nut and it was around 108 Nm as per what's in the manual states, but the nut looks to be way to far in.
So the red square would be where the nut is right now. So the pin isn't really locking the bolt in place.

What do I do now? Is the swing arm broken, can I check this, can I measure the distance at the end of the swingarm?
I know that I need a new caliper braket, a new rotor and a new ABS sensor but that's not that tricky to fix.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Take some pics please. It sounds to me as if your missing the wheel spacer on that side or the bearing has collapsed. A funny thing I saw the other day at practice at the track, was problems on the sprocket side. After changing the gearing with a different size sprocket already fitted to a spare carrier, the rider forgot to swop inner spacer across. He was lucky after 1 lap to pick up the wobbling back wheel and not collapse the sprocket carrier bearing. BTW I didn't realise the 06 had an ABS option.

Reactions: ImRoot

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
293 Posts

A few days ago I noticed that a weird noise that I had a hard time locating, but today I did. It is the brake caliper bracket rubbing against the rotor.
I checked the torque on the axle nut and it was around 108 Nm as per what's in the manual states, but the nut looks to be way to far in.
So the red square would be where the nut is right now. So the pin isn't really locking the bolt in place.

What do I do now? Is the swing arm broken, can I check this, can I measure the distance at the end of the swingarm?
I know that I need a new caliper braket, a new rotor and a new ABS sensor but that's not that tricky to fix.

View attachment 139432
Mine does the same, you might be missing a spacer but when torqued to spec the lock nut is past the split pin too. As Richard Hawkins said, check spacers and bearings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a look today and indeed I am missing a spacer, part 42036 is nowhere to be found so Ill have to go ahead and order that. By the looks of is the bearings are toast to, so Ill have to order a new set of them. What more do I need to change? I'm guessing the the seals and snap ring should be changed too?
The screws that holds the rotor in place had some red stuff on it, I guess it was loctite. Can I just add some new red loctite on the screw or should I replace them?
The ABS sensor also needs to be replaced, this Ill get second hand from ebay or my dealer since they sometimes get semi wrecked bikes with some good parts that they sell off for cheap.
Should also get a new caliper bracket, I'm guessing the one I have should be fine?

Looking at the parts list I'm guessing I would need to order below parts, have I missed anything? The Idea is to do it my self or to go a 3rd party shop since the dealer had a 2-3 week waiting time.
2x 601 Bering
1x 92049 Bering seal
1x 671 O-ring
1x 42036 Spacer
1x 601A Bering
1x 92033 Snap ring
1x 92049A Bering seal

Some images of the rear hub

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
293 Posts
Yea definitely do all bearings and dust seals (usually come together if you order it as a wheel "set") I wouldn't worry too much about the carrier, it has plenty of strength left, it's just surface scratching mostly, The sprocket carrier and cush drives look fine to me aswell, again no issues, but if you're doing a chain anytime soon I'd bring it forward cos that rear sprocket must've been riding crooked.
The 92033 Snap ring should be reusable, for bearings I recommend looking at aftermarket options from Koyo. The O ring 671 I wouldn't stress over, it's just a generic O ring to keep moisture out from in between the sprocket carrier and the hub, aka other solutions for achieving water seal, or just use a generic o ring that's the right size. Realistically the spacer is the only thing you need from Kawasaki but there are plenty of them floating around on Ebay, if not, then I can only recommend the UK Kawasakioriginalparts.com website. Not sure if they ship out to Sweden, but definitely won't be 2-3 weeks if they do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea definitely do all bearings and dust seals (usually come together if you order it as a wheel "set") I wouldn't worry too much about the carrier, it has plenty of strength left, it's just surface scratching mostly, The sprocket carrier and cush drives look fine to me aswell, again no issues, but if you're doing a chain anytime soon I'd bring it forward cos that rear sprocket must've been riding crooked.
The 92033 Snap ring should be reusable, for bearings I recommend looking at aftermarket options from Koyo. The O ring 671 I wouldn't stress over, it's just a generic O ring to keep moisture out from in between the sprocket carrier and the hub, aka other solutions for achieving water seal, or just use a generic o ring that's the right size. Realistically the spacer is the only thing you need from Kawasaki but there are plenty of them floating around on Ebay, if not, then I can only recommend the UK Kawasakioriginalparts.com website. Not sure if they ship out to Sweden, but definitely won't be 2-3 weeks if they do.
Awesome I have already sent out an email to my dealer for a quote for just the parts.
I have looked around and cant really find a kit/set with all dust seals and bearings. I have found a few sites where I can get Koyo bearings, however I can only find 6204-2RS and 6205-2RS and not 6205-2RSC3 or 6204-2RSC3 (on Swedish sites that is), will that be an issue? Otherwise I have found bearings from SFK that can be used.
For the seals I haven't found the right ones. So Ill just wait for my dealer since they should respond on Monday with the prices, and assuming they aren't super expensive Ill probably buy OEM.

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
293 Posts
Please double check but I think 06 wheels are the same as 09-11, post says it's the same so it should be fine, this is the one I bought, been good ever since it was installed over 25k ago.

This kit includes all 3 bearings (2x wheel + 1x sprocket carrier) and the 2 dust seals on either side.

Edit: Forgot to mention brake bolts are fine, it's just old loctite on them, you can put some on and reinstall, if you're gonna do that, clean them first, if not, it's okay to reinstall as is.

·
Registered
1 Posts

View attachment 139432
Make sure your chain and wheel are all square and not too tight check the master link that could be where that noise is coming from
Hope this helps

·
Registered
72 Posts
Looks like you're missing the spacer sleeve that goes in between the wheel and the sprocket hub. Part 42036. As evident of your 3rd pic with the bearing starting to creep out of its counter-bore in the wheel. It should slip into the bearing in your sprocket carrier and is essential for proper spacing. If you don't have this, replacing all these bearings will be moot as it will waste your bearings again!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts