Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[?] What in the hell is this or has anyone experienced the noise before. The noise only happens when the bike's rear wheel is off the ground on the Center Stand and in first gear at idle speed. It goes away when the bike is on both wheels I noticed it while polishing my wheels and am curious as to what the professionals think.. Thanks for your help.

Oh yeah there is no change in power or when bike is on both wheels it idles normal and no noise.

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
44,696 Posts
If it's on the rear stand and you have it in first gear at idle throttle and the rear wheel spinning, it's probable the chain making that noise. Chains have tight spots in them and when that comes around it can cause a "clank". Try it again and watch the chain come aroud the front sprocket. That's all I can think of at the moment. If that's what it turns out to be, it's nothing to worry about but always practice good chain maintenance and you'll be fine. Let us know. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I keep the chain lubed every 2nd to third tankful of gas. I thought that was a possibility but hell I don't know. Keep helping me please people. I hope it is that simple..

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
you said CENTER STAND??????

Anyways more then likely the chaind tight spot as what was metioned already...thats something that happens..how long do you go between fill-ups and miles? also how old is the chain?

details man details..

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
since there is no wieght on the rear tire it takes very little effort to turn the wheel. Just ton constant change in motor rpm(even at idle) will cause the chain to jerk, making a clacking noise.

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
44,696 Posts
Originally posted by HHHIIIYYYA
I keep the chain lubed every 2nd to third tankful of gas. I thought that was a possibility but hell I don't know. Keep helping me please people. I hope it is that simple..
That's good but lubing the chain will not prevent the tight spot from developing and thus, the corresponding loose spot. That's why they tell you to measure chain slack from the tightest part of the chain so you don't over tighten it. I'm not an professional (although i did stay at a holiday inn express last night :D but I think you're okay here.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool.. .Thanks for your input guys.. Last think I want to do is go riding down the road and have something happen. Oh and I only go about 400 miles or so between lubes.. Thats alright right??

N

·
0 Posts
yup

with proper maintenance expect the chain and sprockets to last about 20k miles

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.