Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sad to report, boys and girls, that I was taken down by an SUV driver last weekend. It happened on a state highway, where I was cut off by a female SUV driver, who was not only pulling a crazy last second move to get some gas, but also paid no attention to other traffic (me!). I was HARD on the brakes to lessen the impact, but none the less, couldn't avoid her. Fortunately, I walked away without any breaks or cuts, but was banged up pretty good. Unfortunately, my bike didn't fare as well as I did. Here's a little clip from the police report to give you a visual....

The damage is actually not that extensive. The nose was crushed in from the impact, resulting in cracks and broken tabs to both left and right fairings. The front end is gone (fairing, windshield, lights, mirror, intake, internals, etc). It fell over on the right side. Had frame sliders, so only the rear cowl was cracked and scraped, the rearset broke, and the bar end scraped up. Even a little dent in the gas tank, but not the air box cover. The frame, swing arm, fork, engine parts, seats, wheels, exhaust, bars, etc... were not touched. It truly looks like the replacement of all the plastics and the tank should bring it back to original sexiness [:p]

My question is this. Those who have crashed and repaired a bike before, how do you feel the resulting bike is compared to what it was like before hand? Does anyone have experience with a bike that never was again the way it was before in terms of handling, hidden engine problems, looseness of anything, etc.

I don't want to be a cry baby and insist that the adjuster total out the bike, if infact the damage is all cosmetic. Replaceing body panels and other non-mechanical parts with OEM parts is a piece of cake. I'd love to hear some opinions from those with some crash experience.

By the way, for those who have never gone down.... a highway bike crash is so effed up to go through. The adrenaline rush you get and the mental trauma you get don't subside very quickly. It just keeps playing over and over. I've been riding for 10 years, and I don't plan on stopping. But this was a BIG reminder that as comfortable as you can get riding confidently in mixed traffic, there's ALWAYS the potential for some moron driver to put you in a situation that you simply cannot avoid. Be careful out there, and I hope the day one of you guys go down, that you're as lucky as I was this time around.

Have a great weekend, everyone.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
The thing to worry about is frame damage and fork damage. Take the bike to a good frame shop and have it measured. You can replace everything else. And don't accept a settlement until you are happy, they will almost certainly lowball you the first time.

GO TO A HOSPITAL. Get X rays. Her insurance company must pay. You may have gotten injured and not know about it. Even if you said you are all right it does not matter. Get checked. Don't end up injured for life without recourse.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went to the hospital in an ambulance. I was in a lot of pain. I took a really good blow to my chest and right leg. I had Xrays taken as well as a CT scan of my abdomen. The diagnosis was negative for breaks or internal bleeding. I was given percocet :D for the pain and an anti-inflamatory to help take down the swelling in my leg muscles and the muscles between my ribs that are causing the pain. It's all going through her insurance.

I also spoke with an attorney that advised me to wait a couple months before I bring forth suit. This way, any damage to me that may not be visible now, that may be in a few months, can all be claimed. I also already made the claim for my bike with her insurance company. The adjuster is going to be calling me in a few days. Thanks for the tip about not settling. I didn't plan to and I've heard that they will try to lowball initially. I plan to have the bike at the dealer when the adjuster goes to look at it. That way the money hungry dealer will be there to agrue UP the price of repairs with the adjuster there looking at it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Don't be surprised if it takes YEARS to settle. These things seldom go quickly. Make sure part of your suit is that she cover your court and lawyer costs.

Do you remember anything leading up to the accident? Could you see her face in either her side or rearview mirror?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had an accident (MUCH worse) back in 2001. Also not my fault. Had the case settled in just under a year. It was just such a loosing case for opposing counsel that it never even went to court. I feel, by the number of witnesses, and by the clarity of the report and damages, that this case should also settle fairly quickly.

Never saw her face. Just recall seeing a very slow moving car on the brakes turning left sharply in front of me. Her speed couldn't have been more than 15 mph, and the angle at which she was turning made her speed, relative to my direction, even slower. It's like riding down the highway and having a brick wall pop up like 20 feet in front of you.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Get the adjustor to total it if at all possible. Even if frame and other major components are good, if you can get a new bike out of this instead of riding around one that's been wrecked, why not? Especially when it comes time to sell and the guy buying asks if the bike's ever been down... Just my .02

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Man glad you are okay! I haven't had a mc crash yet, though I was in a very bad car accident with my exwife when she was 9 months preg with our daughter. Seems like all you do is keep replaying it over and over in your head, playing the "what if" game, it will drive you nuts. The emotions you go through after something like that are horrific. My exwife and unborn daughter were taken by lifeflight. I was never so scared in my life. Okay, sorry to go off on that tangent...once again glad you are okay!!!

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Originally posted by calen636
Get the adjustor to total it if at all possible. Even if frame and other major components are good, if you can get a new bike out of this instead of riding around one that's been wrecked, why not? Especially when it comes time to sell and the guy buying asks if the bike's ever been down... Just my .02
Then buy back your bike at a salvage price and make it a track bike. You can have one for the street and one for the track [8D]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.