Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 60 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
I just called my local dealership. They said it's OK for me to just bring in the part to swap it out. However, he said he has to order them as he receives them so it will take up to a week for the order to arrive at which time I will have to make another trip to go pick it up. And he needs the old part to place the order. I would have thought that they would have had a ton these in stock...

Yeah I thought the same thing. Was a little surprised when I was told that they only stocked them as they have requests. I am trying to warm them to the idea of letting me put it on myself. But pretty sure they get paid for the labor from Kawi so I don't see that happening.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Yeah I thought the same thing. Was a little surprised when I was told that they only stocked them as they have requests. I am trying to warm them to the idea of letting me put it on myself. But pretty sure they get paid for the labor from Kawi so I don't see that happening.
It won't hurt to ask. My dealership didn't even hesitate when they told me it'd be fine.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just got a call that my new rectifier is sitting at the dealership. Pulling the old one off the race bike tonight and taking it down to exchange them out later this week :cheers:

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Just got a call that my new rectifier is sitting at the dealership. Pulling the old one off the race bike tonight and taking it down to exchange them out later this week :cheers:
That's if you are allowed to just swap parts and install it yourself. Two dealers said they have to perform the swap... which leads me to believe it is only because they want to be paid by Kawi to perform the work for that hour or so.

·
Registered
92 Posts
That's if you are allowed to just swap parts and install it yourself. Two dealers said they have to perform the swap... which leads me to believe it is only because they want to be paid by Kawi to perform the work for that hour or so.
I cleared it with them when they ordered a week or two back. I just let them know that I was 2hrs away and the bike is a race bike (not street legal)... they are allowing me to bring in the old one and exchange for the new one. There was another Dealer I called that wouldn't even entertain anything remotely close to that... the Dealer that is 2hrs away just earned my future business ;)

·
Registered
995 Posts
Ended up having to leave mine behind. Fingers crossed that I will get it back today as it's supposed to be near 70 here today and tomorrow. Was already getting excuses as I was leaving it though. :(

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I cleared it with them when they ordered a week or two back. I just let them know that I was 2hrs away and the bike is a race bike (not street legal)... they are allowing me to bring in the old one and exchange for the new one. There was another Dealer I called that wouldn't even entertain anything remotely close to that... the Dealer that is 2hrs away just earned my future business ;)
Ah, good deal for you! I will be watching over my bike as they work on it and I'm making sure they don't ride the bike around either.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Serious question: why would you care if they ride it? it's not like they will be riding it harder than you do on their test ride.

FWIW I'm a mechanic, and I test drive all cars after I have worked on them. Would be stupid not to.

·
08 Black ZX10R
1,113 Posts
While I personally wouldn't care all that much, I think that a lot of guys feel a close bond to their bike and would equate it to letting someone take your wife for a ride.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Got a letter.
Have not had any issues with my original [bought the bike new] I have 22240 on the bike now. I'm thinking i didn't get a bad one. Kinda on the fence about takin it in...

·
Registered
684 Posts
^ in your shoes. I'll take mine in b/c it is a recall, and I'd kick myself if it acted up down the road.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Got mine replaced. Took 1 week since they had to order the part and they are closed on mondays. But at least it's over with and I dont have to worry about missing out on good riding weather here in Cincinnati, OH

·
Registered
995 Posts
Got mine back in about 24 hours, from what I can tell it sat for about 23.25 of those. Happy to have my baby home..

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
I received a letter from kawi about this a few days ago. guess i should schedule now if the dealer has to order it.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Good luck! My dealer wouldn't order until he had the old one, which I brought to him today. He said the new one should arrive late next week.

·
Registered
149 Posts
My dealer just took my VIN # and asked my not to take it to another shop about the same thing because Kawasaki is only sending out the part once the dealer has order it for a specific bike - I guess they take your bike off the list one the part is ordered for it.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
I stopped by my dealer, they have extras since other people have come to them, I can come in at my leisure just call before coming in it will take about 30 min. Just bring the letter with me. This was at LI Kawasaki in Hicksville, NY.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Received the letter Tuesday...will be getting it replaced in a couple weeks. Mine's been 100% fine so far, but I won't turn down a new one. ;)

41 - 60 of 121 Posts