Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't want to say "well it finally happened" because I technically did not crash. But what did happen is some woman in a truck darted out in front of me in a parking lot today at the worst possible time and I just wasn't ready for it.

I was mid turn at like 2mph so when I went to stop I couldn't get my foot down fast enough. It landed too far back and I couldn't keep the bike up. I did a quick hop off as the slider was hitting the ground and I knew it was too late to save. The bike was not even moving fast enough to show a speed on the speedometer. Its just as much my fault for not being cautious enough as it was hers. I'm experienced enough that I should have kept this from happening, I still cant believe I brain farted enough to let it happen. Goes to show all the experience in the world still doesn't protect you all the time.

Other then a VERY small scratch on the bar end end rear spool, this is the outcome.

The parking lot was freshly re-paved so the peg stuck instead of sliding and folding up.

I'm ordering an OEM replacement for the peg but its the scratches on the stator cover that concerns me. Its just paint damage, the cover is fine but I was barely moving and the sliders did not keep it from contacting. If I was going any faster it may have broke leaving me stranded.

I want to order one of those deals that has the sliders that stick way out with the bars that go down the sides to the rear of the bike (wherever the mount I don't know yet. The ones that will protect the stator cover.

It's on 03 636 and I remember seeing a set somewhere when I bought the bike but I know some of them are a joke and thought I would ask if people here know a good brand name that actually works.

Im just glad I had shorty levers and the sliders on it. The axle sliders and mirrors didnt touch the ground. This is also a good example for people that ask what sliders actually do.

Any references to a good brand or set (that hopefully they make for my bike) would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. I'll me looking myself but am hoping for a brand name or something thats known to actually work instead of just making you feel safe.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Whooolllyyyyshiiiiiiitttt!

$77.75 just in parts and shipping for a new foot peg?

21 dollars shipping for that small thing? You have to be shitting me!

I think I'm going to order that shit local. Unless I find something better online.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Pretty sure you're talking about racerailz

·
Registered
448 Posts
Where are yoy ordering the peg from that doesn't have free shipping? Try bike bandit

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Powerhungry
37,700 Posts
Pretty sure you're talking about racerailz
i have these. i like them a lot.

i havent dropped the bike since they've been on, so i cant say how they work.

but, they would have to work better than a normal slider.
sliders generally fail by the bolt breaking, or bending, because there is only one attaching point. with the rail, there is 2, so its MUCH stronger.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Sucks man, glad it wasn't anything more serious though.

Are you talking about like a stunt cage?

Check parts classifieds for foot peg, I know people have been parting out 636's.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
i have these. i like them a lot.

i havent dropped the bike since they've been on, so i cant say how they work.

but, they would have to work better than a normal slider.
sliders generally fail by the bolt breaking, or bending, because there is only one attaching point. with the rail, there is 2, so its MUCH stronger.
how do you lane split if that is even applicable to you?

fro my recollection, racerailz are similar to a full cage besides the bottom. idk how much it protrudes though

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
After breaking my frame BECAUSE of sliders, I don't recommend them anymore.

But people have unrealistic expectations of them...I would say yourself included. Frame sliders are meant to keep the frame off the ground. Not to save your case covers. For that, you should be looking at case savers. Woodcraft, Vortex, GBR, etc.

-Cody

·
Powerhungry
37,700 Posts
how do you lane split if that is even applicable to you?

fro my recollection, racerailz are similar to a full cage besides the bottom. idk how much it protrudes though
i do not, and would not split. but that is a topic for another day, and another thread.

as far as the rails, i pretty much forget they are there. i dont touch them when stopped, and dont notice them when leaned over.

they dont stick out any further than a normal slider. and they HAVE a slider built in aswell.

·
Registered
914 Posts
i do not, and would not split. but that is a topic for another day, and another thread.

as far as the rails, i pretty much forget they are there. i dont touch them when stopped, and dont notice them when leaned over.

they dont stick out any further than a normal slider. and they HAVE a slider built in aswell.
I've always seen those and wondered what they were. Might have to get them on my next bike.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Whooolllyyyyshiiiiiiitttt!

$77.75 just in parts and shipping for a new foot peg?

21 dollars shipping for that small thing? You have to be shitting me!

I think I'm going to order that shit local. Unless I find something better online.
get a used one on ebay for $30

·
Premium Member
10,446 Posts
After breaking my frame BECAUSE of sliders, I don't recommend them anymore.

But people have unrealistic expectations of them...I would say yourself included. Frame sliders are meant to keep the frame off the ground. Not to save your case covers. For that, you should be looking at case savers. Woodcraft, Vortex, GBR, etc.

-Cody
Weel said, also the design of the frame sliders is HUGE! anything that sticks out and can catch can do just as exalted mentioned.
Accepting you will have bodywork damaged is a given, personally more concerned with my motor and frame being damaged than bodywork.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Here's the aftermath of my frame slider. These were 'quality' Woodcraft frame sliders, the 'cut' style. I'm not blaming Woodcraft though. You put a bolt in the frame tied to something that sticks out, it's going to break.

Here's the rest of the bike. Not much damage at all

-Cody

·
Registered
528 Posts
Anything that puts direct stress on the frame after impact? I'll pass.

Keep in mind weebel that those frame sliders are just that; meant to help protect the frame from damage, not a fairing saver. In some cases, actually worse for you than good (as exalted/jdgun_13 are advising). Besides, those long ass ones are goofy as hell.

·
Registered
528 Posts
thats a pretty extreme/rare case i think.

but again, thats what you get with only one attaching point.
the rail has 2, if you crash it hard enough to tear the frame, the rest of the bike will be trashed anyway.
It honestly doesn't take a tremendous amount of force to bend the mounting bolt on those sliders. Even those short style sliders had enough leverage to bend/break the bolt, and take a nice chunk of frame with it on exalted's bike.

·
Powerhungry
37,700 Posts
It honestly doesn't take a tremendous amount of force to bend the mounting bolt on those sliders. Even those short style sliders had enough leverage to bend/break the bolt, and take a nice chunk of frame with it on exalted's bike.
with one mount, you're right. but it would take a hell of a lot more pressure with 2.

·
Registered
941 Posts
My fairings were trashed when I got the bike. When it goes down (seems to happen every few months, having short legs doesn't help), I'm either out a clutch lever or a front brake lever. Twenty bucks and five minutes for me to install the replacement. No worries.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts