Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so a quick background. In 2010 I got three tickets, so the VA DMV sent me a notice that my license would be on probation for six months starting January 13, 2011. Two speeding tickets, one "following too closely" (I suspect the cop just didn't have radar--I came up his ass pretty quickly, then realized it was an unmarked car). So my job says my pattern is a big problem, which of course I can see (they require I report anything worse than a minor traffic offense). Anyways so the other morning I'm only a few miles from my exit (coming home from work) and I had already been on the bike for an hour. I was hauling ass for a while down a straight stretch on the interstate (fucking mustang tailing me), but I got bored and slowed down to about 10 mph over the limit or so. This interstate is typically traveled at 10 over or more, otherwise people honk and flip you off if you drive any slower. Well I'm in the far left lane going 15 over, I see a state trooper on the right shoulder (four lanes between us WITH cars in each lane), so I let off the throttle and pass him doing about 10 over, which is not uncommon to do past a cop. I felt like I was going just a bit faster than the flow of traffic. Well less than a mile down the road, I look in my rear view mirror and see nothing, then look again a few seconds later, and there's a cop up my ass. I pull over and he asks "care to tell me why you're riding so fast". I replied, "Sir I'm dead tired, just got off of a 12 hour shift and I've been awake since 3 pm yesterday, so I was just trying to get home and crawl into bed." I was thinking that he clocked me at like 70 or so, but then he said, "hm, dead tired and driving 95 mph down the road, huh?" Extremely confused I asked, "huh?...was I going that fast? I don't believe so." "Yes you were" he replied as he walked back to his car with my license and registration. Oh and he also noticed I didn't have an inspection sticker. Oops.

So he comes back with the two tickets, but the reckless one says "reckless driving (in excess of 90 mph)". Confused I thought "was he even using radar?" I signed the tickets and he left. Strangely enough I expected him to be way more pissed (this isn't my first reckless), but he was rather calm, gave me my tickets, and left. So what do you all think? Is this a bogus ticket? I've never gotten pulled over for speeding or reckless but not have a specific speed written down. I'm going to get a lawyer and do everything I can to not get fucked on this one. My job takes this kind of thing very seriously (which I didn't know until the other day), so that's where my concern lies. Not with money or points on my record, but my job.

And anyone with comments like "slow down" or whatever, just go ahead and continue onto the next thread. I ride 120 miles round trip every day to work, so eventually you're gonna get pulled around here, especially on a sport bike. But the bike has been sitting a few days until I get some time off to get it inspected. I don't want to chance this same dude pulling me over just to check if I have a sticker now.

Thanks for any tips you guys have, and/or sharing your experience with similar matters.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
lawyer up for sure...
i got pulled last november doing at least 125 & still climbing hard. it was a local LEO with a severe rep for never giving anyone a break. when i saw him i just let off & pulled over to wait for him to turn around. ended up it was a good call, he wrote me up for 65 in a 40, cost me $80.00 & 3 points. i used to run, but no more...now i need to slow the fuck down.....baby steps, baby steps.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I don't like in VA but up here, reckless driving isn't a speeding ticket so they don't put a speed on it. However excessive speed past a certain point also earns you a reckless citation in addition to the speeding ticket. You can get a reckless driving ticket going slow, just go the wrong way on the highway without being intoxicated, drugged up, or otherwise mentally incapacitated. :D

Gotta ask what job do you do that your employer cares so much about your driving record? If you care so much, maybe tone your riding down a bit.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
lawyer up for sure...
i got pulled last november doing at least 125 & still climbing hard. it was a local LEO with a severe rep for never giving anyone a break. when i saw him i just let off & pulled over to wait for him to turn around. ended up it was a good call, he wrote me up for 65 in a 40, cost me $80.00 & 3 points. i used to run, but no more...now i need to slow the fuck down.....baby steps, baby steps.
i did the same thing in my car
passed a cop at 110 mph
as soon as i saw him pulling out of the shoulder, i pulled over and waited for him
he was cool, wrote me up for 86 in a 70

i find that speed on a bike keeps me alert and awake
i cant do anything in a car to stay awake, even slapped myself a couple times to stay up

i too have a 130 mile round trip everyday, to school

·
Powerhungry
38,210 Posts
i had a similar experience. which resulted in a ticket for negligent driving, second degree. a neg2. as far as insurance is concerned, AS bad as a DUI. so, not to be taken lightly.

we were NOT hit with radar, or anything else. there were 2 of them, one was STANDING beside the car. we found out later, they were having lunch. must have pissed them off. something...

no speed was mentioned(if there was, i dont remember it). just that we were going too fast. the ticket was for $570. and would have killed my driving record. possibly gotten my license suspended. as there were still a couple speeding tickets showing...
for the record, we were NOT going that fast. had pulled out to pass some slow cars. they were doing atleast 10 under the limit. which made us LOOK like we were really hauling ass. i think we MAYBE hit 70. altho, we were trying to pass quickly, so i might have been in 3rd. also, making it SOUND like i was hauling ass.

it was me, and a buddy. and this was a VERY BAD thing for our records. we grabbed a lawyer, paid $300 i think, and he got the ticket DROPPED. and i didnt have to go to court. it was totally a BULLSHIT ticket. ive never used a lawyer for a ticket before. im usually "guilty" so i just pay up. but this was BS.

my advice, find a lawyer for the area, and talk to him. more than likely he'll be able to take care of it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
so what part of VA you guys from?

prince william county here (30 minutes from DC)

·
Strat - the Asian edition
13,060 Posts
Sorry to hear that Larry
I always hear how tough VA cops are.
Wouldn't think that your job would care about your driving history.

This is why I never pass a cop especially on a bike, a lesson I learned from the masshole cops. I even stay way the hell back like 5+ car lengths behind the cop.
Cops in general don't seem to care about cars passing them at 5-10 mph but the second a bike edges up to them, they suddenly care.

Definitely lawyer up.

...oh, and slow down :p

·
Registered
272 Posts
An attorney is your best bet. At a minimum it will cost you the same amount of money, maybe more-but the ticket will get dropped or the charge lessened or some better outcome than just paying the fine.

You could always go in and talk to the prosecutor (possibly work out a deal) or enter a not guilty plea-ask to see what the prosecutor has for evidence then decide your course of action with an attorney-sometimes just going in and talking to the prosecutor will save you time and money (sometimes you can do this via phone)...generally they want to "talk to the officer" before they will make a decision to lessen the charge-but it really is up to them on what they want to persue. Dress nice, be respectful and apologetic but not overly so and be quiet.....it is much more important to listen than to talk. Make sure to hear what he says, cuz usually they are offering something in their choice of words.
( about a half dozen of the people I locally ride with are attorneys, some for the prosecution side-some for hire for defendants....all of them field this type of question alot)

**if none of this works-I have offered to pay double the fine in exchange for no violation...a bribe a donation or whatever you want to call, it has worked for me in the past. But I did use it as a last resort.***
Your first mistake was saying your long hours, long drive and just wanting to get home to bed.............never offer any information to the police, answer questions as briefly and directly to the point as possible....nothing more, nothing less. Be respectful but be quiet

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
I won't comment on your rather poor driving record, but telling a cop 'I'm tired, so I'm speeding so I can get to bed' was not the best response you could have given.

'Sorry officer, I wasn't watching ny speedo', while lame, wouldn't have put you at risk of a ticket for reckless driving or whatever you local equivalent is.

Neither is passing a cop while exceeding the speed limit a clever thing to do. You may see others apparently getting away with it but something here screams lack of experience.

Get a lawyer.

Rob

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Some of you didn't read the OP thoroughly. I didn't pass the cop on the street, he was on the shoulder hanging out. I may tend to drive and ride too fast, but I'm no worse than other Virginia drivers. I was traveling in the far left lane, saw the cop up ahead on the shoulder, and let off the throttle. As I passed him, I was doing 65, so ten over the limit, which is slow for this area. I accelerated when he was no longer in sight (so I thought) and I probably hit 80 at worst. I think when I passed him, he heard my bike and assumed I was speeding, but I was going with the flow of traffic. He probably pulled into the street and snuck up my ass. Like I said, I was pooped. I think he reached 90 or so to catch up, which makes sense because he was stationary when I went by at 65, but I wasn't going that fast when he caught up. I recall seeing 70 or so.

I work in a nuclear power plant, so they're anal, which I usually understand. I had to give a copy of my ticket to security, and they said it was ok because the ticket showed nothing indicating alcohol was related. Being a power plant you get hammered if you show up with any alcohol in your system (random piss tests). BAC of .02 will get you sent home with no pay for that day. I always abide by that fitness for duty rule and come ready to work.

Also I appreciated the advice. I've been to court for reckless a few times already in the past 11 years. 90/55, 92/55, 85/55 (country road). I've always taken a lawyer to them and only the 92/55 resulted in a 30 day suspension, and charged for reckless 82/55 (I brought in a bogus speedo calibration). The judge just wouldn't budge very far, which I understand. They typically get dropped to speeding, but I still pay for the amount for my actual speed, on top of the cost of the lawyer.

So yeah I've been to court a few times and I know how to conduct myself. I was mainly inquiring about the fact that there was no exact speed on the ticket. Here in VA reckless is 15 over (the cop can call it reckless or speeding, depends on his mood I guess) or anything over 80. I've ALWAYS been clocked on all of my infractions except this time. It's strange based on my unfortunate experience.

And I told him I was tired and on my way home so that he knew I wasn't someone coming back from a party or something. It was 4th of July weekend and there were more cops out because of that fact.

·
13,060 Posts
Ah my mistake, I need to learn how to read durrr

Sucks

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ah my mistake, I need to learn how to read durrr

Sucks
No worries. You're not the only one that assumed I blew by a cop and I'm now scratching my head why I got pulled over. I go the speed limit when I see one going down the road and I'm sure to give them plenty of room (following distance)--you know, the way we're all supposed to drive. LOL. I use my signals irregardless, but I do tend to run 10-15 mph over the limit. On the interstate I was pulled I've only been pulled over one other time in almost ten years, and considering the speeds I've reached on that road (back in the day in my supercharged mustang & on my GSXR 1000), it's very rare to see cops just hanging out unless it's a holiday or somewhere near one. I mean they had alcohol and fireworks checkpoints this last weekend, too. I don't know, perhaps they're cracking down or something. People just fly down that stretch of the road.

On the other hand as tired as I was maybe he was in the crowd of traffic to my right, but I highly doubt that. I just remember there were other cars and I was in the left lane going a little faster than them, but not incredibly faster.

·
13,060 Posts
I've had cops in Massachusetts pull me over for going 5-10 mph over in the right lane, just going home from work, no thrills, when cars were passing by us in the left lane.

Masshole cops seem to love targeting bikes. Local cops are very nice and understanding though.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I've had cops in Massachusetts pull me over for going 5-10 mph over in the right lane, just going home from work, no thrills, when cars were passing by us in the left lane.

Masshole cops seem to love targeting bikes. Local cops are very nice and understanding though.
Indeed. Town and local cops are cool as hell about bikes around here in my experience (I am a firm believer that being geared up improves their opinion of you). Staties not so much. I find highway riding boring and thats where the State Troopers hang out so I tend to take it easy on the highway. I will push it on side roads which are more fun and more likely to result in being pulled over by a cool cop than on the highway which will always be a trooper.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I did some independent studies on alleged reckless driving offenses, in VA they are a criminal charge? or they can be...i read horror stories of people passing threw VA (way to fast) and got a free hotel stay at the jail

Lawyer up, you can win by yourself also; but you need to know what to say and how to say it( you mentioned you had a previous reckless, what happened with that one?)

As someone mentioned above, you can get a reckless driving ticket going slow(jeep forums are funny),normal speeds,or very fast.
its really a bullshit offense and its up to the officers discretion to issue the ticket, and the judges discretion whether your guilty, innocent, or going to land somewhere in the middle (less points more fines, or vise versa)

·
Ninja Bike Forum Mod
22,254 Posts
I would have the lawyer argue that you were moving with the flow of traffic and going any slower would have endangered your safety as a rider. And without radar to back up the 90+ mph they don't have much of a leg to stand on. Especially if you have the lawyer ask the patrolman whether or not you were moving with traffic...

·
Registered
369 Posts
OP: Your telling me he wrote you up for reckless driving for doing 90mph on the E way? That's is the most absurd thing I have heard.

I more than understand the whole paranoia thing with the job and driving record. My job frowns upon such conduct as well.(speeding tickets not so much, but certainly a reckless or DUI) Both 6 points and a license suspension here in MI.

I had a reckless about 10 years ago when I was 18. I won't get into the story because I was young and stupid and it actually had nothing to do with driving recklessly. It was plea bargained down from something else. Needless to say, it had a huge impact on myself and almost prevented me from getting the job I currently have now, due to the 10 year background check that was required.

What I'm saying is: getting a reckless for what you did is complete and utter bullshit, and you need to fight it for sure! Getting a reckless for that, is like getting a speeding ticket for 1 over.

Some LEO's really don't understand the ramifications that write ups like this will do to peoples lives. You need to make this clear in the court room. What it will mean for your job, family, life, etc... I would put money that they reduce it to some type of speeding ticket. I certainly hope so.

Keep us posted of the outcome.

Good luck, and I'll be sitting on your side of the courtroom.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Tell the judge there's no such thing as wreckless driving on a motorcycle since you don't drive motorcycles, you ride them.

It'll work.
-Cody

1 - 20 of 92 Posts