Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 ZX-6R and it is just over 8k miles now. According to Kawasaki's recommendations in the manuel, I should have replaced my chain at 7k. What I am wondering is how can you tell if your chain really does need replaced. Aside from the smack me in the face obvious of bent links, gouges, binded links, etc..is there anything that I can look for or test to see if the chain is still safe to use?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
does it have too much slack? have u had to tighten the chain before cause t had slack? those might be some signs. if ya haven't had those then i don't think i would change it

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
The Kawasaki service manual lists the frequency intervals at which you should check chain wear, not replace the chain.

To quickly check chain wear, grab a pin at the rear sprocket, and then pull it outward. If it lifts more than one-eighth of an inch, replace the chain and the sprockets.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
"To quickly check chain wear, grab a pin at the rear sprocket, and then pull it outward. If it lifts more than one-eighth of an inch, replace the chain and the sprockets."

ok I just can seem to picture htis Rob, can you give slightly more detailed description? I always just check the sprocket teeth for wear and replaced the chain whenever it started needing really frequent adjustments...

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
You can check chain wear by measuring the distance the chains lifts off the rear sprocket. The greater the wear between pin and bushing, the higher the chain will lift.

Grab a link at the back of the rear sprocket by the pin, and then pull it radially outward from the axle. At worst, you will see daylight between the link and the sprocket. If the link lifts much more than one-eighth of an inch, you should replace the chain and sprockets. You can use this method even if the chain is not properly adjusted.

Does that help?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.